Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by AdamR <ad...@runbox.com> on 2008/09/15 15:14:01 UTC

Tomcat 5.5 vs. 6.0 classloading

Whenever I attempt to deploy a particualr webapp into Tomcat 5.5, I get a
NoClassDefFoundError on javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet.

Servlet-api.jar is in the usual place (apache-tomcat-5.5.26\common\lib).

Using Tomcat 6 on the same machine, the webapp deploys fine.

Any thoughts?

Re: Tomcat 5.5 vs. 6.0 classloading

Posted by AdamR <ad...@runbox.com>.

Konstantin Kolinko wrote:

> Please check, that you do not have a conflicting copy of that file
> somewhere,
> especially in you app's own WEB-INF/lib folder.
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Class_Not_Found#Q2

Thanks for the link, but it doesn't solve my problem. Only one
servlet-api.jar exists on the whole system, and that's in the Tomcat lib
folder.

The webapp itself is fine as it deploys perfectly into Tomcat 6.

Re: Tomcat 5.5 vs. 6.0 classloading

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2008/9/15 AdamR <ad...@runbox.com>:

> Whenever I attempt to deploy a particular webapp into Tomcat 5.5, I get a
> NoClassDefFoundError on javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet.
>
> Servlet-api.jar is in the usual place (apache-tomcat-5.5.26\common\lib).
>
> Using Tomcat 6 on the same machine, the webapp deploys fine.
>
> Any thoughts?
> --

Please check, that you do not have a conflicting copy of that file somewhere,
especially in you app's own WEB-INF/lib folder.

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Class_Not_Found#Q2

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Tomcat 5.5 vs. 6.0 classloading

Posted by Stephen Souness <so...@hotmail.com>.
Is there anything being logged at Tomcat startup time to indicate that
the jar file might be corrupted or unavailable for some other reason?

Does the file have appropriate permissions for the user that Tomcat as
running as to be able to access it?

--
Stephen Souness