Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Chris Helck <Ch...@us.icap.com> on 2007/05/16 16:44:00 UTC

How do I upgrade internal maven1 repos to maven2

Hello,

We have some internal maven 1 repositories. I would like to convert them
to maven2, but I'd like my existing maven1 builds to keep working. How
do I do this?

Thanks,
Christopher Helck

This communication and all information (including, but not limited to,
 market prices/levels and data) contained therein (the "Information") is
 for informational purposes only, is confidential, may be legally
 privileged and is the intellectual property of ICAP plc and its affiliates
 ("ICAP") or third parties. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or
 lost by any mistransmission. The Information is not, and should not
 be construed as, an offer, bid or solicitation in relation to any
 financial instrument or as an official confirmation of any transaction.
 The Information is not warranted, including, but not limited, as to
 completeness, timeliness or accuracy and is subject to change
 without notice. ICAP assumes no liability for use or misuse of the
 Information. All representations and warranties are expressly
 disclaimed. The Information does not necessarily reflect the views of
 ICAP. Access to the Information by anyone else other than the
 recipient is unauthorized and any disclosure, copying, distribution or
 any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited. If
 copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and
 notify the sender.

RE: How do I upgrade internal maven1 repos to maven2

Posted by Barrett Nuzum <Ba...@Valtech.com>.
Hi again, Chris.

Well, for us, all the M1 artifacts go in $HOME/.maven/repository
and M2 artifacts go in $HOME/.m2/repository.

If the M1 artifacts have discrete metadata (that is to say, some difference of groupId, artifactId, and/or version) of your M2 artifacts, then every time you build with M2, the M1 repository will be checked for updates of those artifacts according to your updatePolicy. (Sounds like you'd want "always".)

(If you use the same metadata in both M1 and M2, of course, Maven2 will overwrite any Maven1 file with the same information.)

M2 will take each of those M1 artifacts and store a local copy in *its* repository. (Just as if you downloaded it from central.)

Then let the M2 repo be the master repository. Since it's not simple to have M1 see your M2 repo, letting your M2 builds set the course for future development is key. If you choose to discontinue M1 builds, all you will have to do is remove the repository from your settings.xml.

If you need M2 artifacts in your M1 build, I would discourage this practice -- it's very, very far from convention and will likely cause pain. To convert fully to M2 will likely cause less pain in the long run and you will see other benefits. (2x+ build speed, etc.)

Barrett

::
Barrett Nuzum
Consultant, Skill Development
Direct: 918.640.4414
Fax: 972.789.1340

Valtech Technologies, Inc.
5080 Spectrum Drive
Suite 700 West
Addison, Texas 75001
www.valtech.com <http://www.valtech.com/>
making IT business friendly

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
It just seemed like a feature someone might support -- I could be wrong. ;-)

I suppose the legacy layout configuration suggested by Barrett is the
easiest (and perhaps best) way forward.

Wayne

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <t....@gmail.com>.
Hello,