Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Diane Holt <ho...@yahoo.com> on 2000/09/13 11:44:49 UTC

Running ant on a nightly basis?

How are people who run ant on a nightly (or other timed) basis doing it?
Just as a cron or at (some scheduler-type utility) task? Does anyone use
anything more elaborate? Maybe a litte java daemon that checks for some
significant event(s) and kicks off (forks?) ant?  Just looking for
ideas/suggestions...

Thanks,
Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)

http://mail.yahoo.com/

RE: Running ant on a nightly basis?

Posted by Chris Todd <ct...@alabanza.com>.
Thank you to Craig, Glenn and Will for your suggestions.  Will's
BuildListener is an interesting idea, I hadn't thought of that...

I had assumed writing a shell script that runs ant and emails the log file
would work, but being lazy, had hoped I could get Ant to do all the work for
me.  ;-)  Ah, well, sometimes we actually have to _write_ code...

Chris Todd
Software Engineer
ctodd@alabanza.com
Alabanza Corporation

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Chris Todd wrote:

> I look forward to hearing folks answers on this as well.  We were also
> hoping ot set up a nightly Ant build, but I wanted to be able to email a
> 'build report' as well.  I noticed that an email taskdef was recently
> added...can this email task be used to mail Ant's output?

I run a nightly "cron" job that generates several of the "nightly
distribution" downloads on the Jakarta web site.  I dealt with mailing output
even before the new email task was added, by piping Ant's output to a text
file, and then just mailing the content of that file (with the "mail" shell
command).

> Chris Todd

Craig McClanahan

                                    Applications to Tomcat