Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/12 23:16:26 UTC

Re: [discuss] drop support for Java 5 and Java 6 for Windows

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 9:23 AM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 2:56 AM, janI <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

>> > recognized
>> > (Java 6)
>> AOO
>> It
>> > does
>> > environment.

>> what
>> > is
>> > Java 6
>> > rather

>> here's a
>> with
>> > other

>> platform
>> between
>> Windows
>> > XP
>> Windows

>> > remarks,
>> > java

>> This is
>> > machine),
>> > window
>> > libraries

>> make
>> version.
>> > As
>> jar
>> > files
>> towards

>> single
>> > java
>> however no
>> in
>> > java

>> forwards
>> living
>> > up to

>> tell
>> > user,
>> > cycle, we

>> > future
>> time
>> C++

>> different

>> java
>> > API.

>> > AIUI the compiler just has to be told to generate the appropriate code:
>> >
>> > javac -source 1.5 -target 1.5
>> >
>> > The source will of course have to be 1.5 compatible.
>> > But is there very much Java code?
>> >

>> thx. By the way there are no bytecode changes, but bytecode ammendments, a
>> 1.5 jar runs perfect in a 1.7 enviroment.
>>
>> There are 8.688 files in trunk, in my tree, some of them might be
>> duplicates (unxlng6.pro) so a fair rule of thumb is 8.000 files.
>>

> In my mind, interfaces for hsqldb are a major consideration here, assuming
> we continue to use that as our embedded DB.
>
> And, as Dave suggests ( or maybe he would like to even propose some
> specs/ideas?) for using/integrating other Apache java-based components .

Did we reach a consensus on this one?

Wait until 4.1 to "officially" change java build environment to 7?

Buildbots are still at 6, although I know some of us are using 7 for
building with no problems.

>> > I don't see why AOO should not say that certain platforms are the
>> > primary targets for which full support is offered.
>> >
>> +1, that is basically what we do today.

>> > There should be no need to test all combinations.
>> > That's the point of Java - code should run on any compatible JVM, and
>> > code that runs on 1.5 should run on 1.7.
>> > Besides, at least on Windows, AFAIK the same JVM iis used for all OSes
>> > that it supports
>> > Certainly the download is the same for all supported Windows versions,
>> > the only difference is 32(x86) or 64-bit
>> >
>> > So one could test Java 1.5 on XP, Java 1.6 on Vista, Java 1.8 on Win7
>> >
>> > I doubt that any provider of a Java application has tested it on all
>> > platforms and JVMs.
>> >
>> > Yes, there may be some edge cases where particular JVMs don't behave
>> > as expected.
>> > But the same is true of OS software - occaisionally there are odd
>> > interactions between patches and applications.
>> >
>> > Ignoring Java - has AOO been tested with all service packs for Win7 for
>> > example?
>> >

>> dont forget XP and vista. We do not state on the download page exact with
>> service packs are testet and supported.
>>
>> And we also support 3.4 and 3.4.1 so whenever microsoft bring out a new
>> servicepack, we should actually test it.
>>
>> In my opinion we use the word "support" in a very loose sense...meaning
>> something like "we are prepared to accept bug reports and look at them".
>>
>> rgds
>> jan I

> MzK
>
> Success is falling nine times and getting up ten."
>                              -- Jon Bon Jovi

MzK

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged
 to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't."
                             -- "Following the Equator", Mark Twain

Re: [discuss] drop support for Java 5 and Java 6 for Windows

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 15, 2013 10:34 AM, "janI" <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 15 November 2013 18:59, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 11:53 PM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <
> > orwittmann@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,

> > for

configure.inappropriately

> > this

> > that

> > value

> > value

> > don't

> > version

> > > Yes, you are right.
> > > When it works in the build environment with all the different Java
> > > versions this is the simply solution.
> > >

> > > Best regards, Oliver.

> > Unfortunately for this little trial, I apparently misunderstood the
> > reasoning, and did this --
> >
> > javac -source 1.7 -target 1.5
> >
> > which javac got upset with, and thus my error.
> >
> > On the other hand, I did get a lot of warnings (I use verbose build
option)
> > -- not permanently kept -- that were no doubt about deprecated or
changed
> > methods in our current code.
> > These may be useful to us, I don't know.
> >

> How about making a BZ with the deprecated or changed methods, that could
be
> a nice task a java developer.

Definitely!

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 22 September 2013 14:11, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 12/09/2013 Kay Schenk wrote:
>
>> Did we reach a consensus on this one?
>> Wait until 4.1 to "officially" change java build environment to 7?
>> Buildbots are still at 6, although I know some of us are using 7 for
>> building with no problems.
>>

> We didn't reach consensus, the reason being (rather than disagreement)
> that it's unclear:
> - what the proposal is about exactly
> - what's broken in the current setup
> - what's the impact on people who wish to build OpenOffice
> - what's the impact on people who wish to use OpenOffice
>
> Now, after yet another discussion where we explain Java to each other, we
> can take for granted that we all know about it and move on and see what the
> proposal is about in concrete, so that is can be evaluated properly and
> maybe implemented in time for 4.1.

Could we use the same thread to discuss our C++ compiler.

I would like to have the MSVC 6.0 bumped to at least 7.0 but preferable
2012 (express version), that will give us better microsoft library support,
and namespaces are properly implemented.

rgds
jan I.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.