Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rama <ra...@sify.com> on 2002/06/10 11:04:29 UTC

How to place HTML and JSP files in different directory apart from Tomcat root for Apache-Tomcat 4.0.3

Hi!!,

I am using Linux OS for the Apache TOMCAT 4.0.3 configuration. I am using webapp_module(ie warpconnector
not APJ13 connecter) for connecting between apache web server and Tomcat Servlet engine.

I am facing 2 problems:

1. After the connection is established between apache web server and Tomcat i am not able to access the html files from the url http://ServerIpaddress/myhtml/myhtml.html. These html files are under (Document root) /htdocs/myhtml dir of apache.

But when i kept these html files  along with jsp files under TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/myhtml/htmlfiles
then i am able to access these Html files from the above url.
I think the html request apache receives is sent to tomcat immdtly so it doesn't look into /htdocs dir
of apache.

So i want to know how to place these html files in different directory apart from the Tomcat webapps dir TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/myhtml/htmlfiles.
I tried using alias in httpd.conf file in apache. but it didn't work.
Alias /myhtml/ "/home/myhtml/"
I tried to change the DocumentRoot of apache to "/home/myhtml/" even then i am not able to access these
html files present in the /home/myhtml/ directory.
So please tell me how to come out of this problem.

2. Similarly i want to know how to place jsp files in separate directory(eg:/usr/myjsps/all jsp files) apart from the docBase dir ie TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/myjsps.

Thanks in advance..

With Regds,
Rama

AW: How to place HTML and JSP files in different directory apart from Tomcat root for Apache-Tomcat 4.0.3

Posted by franzR <re...@utanet.at>.
ad1)
Try http://ServerIpaddress:8080/myhtml/myhtml.html
If it works you have to help your web server by installing Tomcat's
connectors like mod_webapp.

ad2)
Before you start to leave the standardized way for publishing web resources
you must keep the following things in your mind: (

"A web application is defined as a hierarchy of directories and files in a
standard layout. Such a hierarchy can be accessed in its "unpacked" form,
where each directory and file exists in the filesystem separately, or in a
"packed" form known as a Web ARchive, or WAR file. The former format is more
useful during development, while the latter is used when you distribute your
application to be installed.
..
Web Application Deployment Descriptor
As mentioned above, the WEB-INF/web.xml file contains the Web Application
Deployment Descriptor for your application. As the filename extension
implies, this file is an XML document, and defines everything about your
application that a server needs to know (except the context path, which is
assigned by the system administrator when the application is deployed).
...."

http://ServerIpaddress:8080/docs/appdev/index.html
It makes no sense if you change the configuration of your http-server
concerning things which belongs to the servlet engine. How would you deploy
such apps?

franzR