Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com> on 2014/03/01 00:31:18 UTC

Re: 4.4 Feature Freeze

Again...it's not going to break my heart personally if we keep the current
feature freeze date or not (my code should be in soon), but I do think we
need to get a bit real if we expect anyone who's working on a future
release to help out testing RC builds.

I expect most people would prefer you help out on testing RC builds rather
than you move forward with development on master. However, in the current
model, you're incented a bit to ignore the RC builds and continue on with
development on master if testing RCs is going to stop you from getting a
feature into the next release. It's especially easy to ignore testing RC
builds when there are six of them.

--
*Mike Tutkowski*
e: mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com

Re: 4.4 Feature Freeze

Posted by Marcus <sh...@gmail.com>.
I don't know. I do think we should stick to a schedule, but I also
think that the track record has shown that there are far too many
features stuffed into our releases to have such short release cycles.
Part of the point of short release cycles (assuming you consider 4
months to be short, with a chunk of that being frozen from commits) is
to roll fewer, incremental changes often rather than a large number of
changes. We seem to have a lot of changes that by the time they're
merged *mostly* work, and then we spend 3-4 months just fixing the
bugs and then talk about pushing out the next release. This has
happened every release since I've been a part of the project. A year
ago this month we were talking about Spring, and arguments were being
made that not including spring in 4.1 at the last moment would punish
those who worked so hard on it, and then 4.1 got delayed for several
months due to that and other issues. We have to move beyond the
'punishment' mentality if we do actually still want to stick to a
schedule, because it promotes pushing unfinished code into a release.

It's not that I don't understand wanting to merge a feature early, or
not work on it for several releases. Huge swaths of code get changed
every release, and not just due to features. Sometimes it seems as
though there are a few people whose job is just to reorganize/split
classes :-)  It's very difficult to keep a feature branch working and
up-to-date with master, and it's telling I think that features are
generally started and merged in the same window (the one exception I
can remember is the storage refactor). I wouldn't expect that with
such a complex piece of software, but when core components change
every release it's difficult to develop across cycles.

I think if we mess with the timeline it may not do much good until we
figure out how to stop breaking things/introducing bugs when we merge
features. If we stretch out testing, people still won't play with it
until RC time. Playing with the merge window will only adjust how bad
it is (which perhaps is better than nothing) when we go to RC.

Re: 4.4 Feature Freeze

Posted by Sheng Yang <sh...@yasker.org>.

RE: 4.4 Feature Freeze

Posted by Prachi Damle <Pr...@citrix.com>.
+1 for pushing out the feature freeze to 3/28.

Most of us have been busy with 4.3 and so it will be good to have some extra room to focus fully on our 4.4 features.

Myself and Min are working on the IAM feature (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-5920) and I feel that 3/28 will give us some room to test our code and add better integration tests.
Current integration tests do not focus on testing IAM functionality with default roles (user/domainadmin/admin) at all. So it is good to cover as many as we could.

Thanks,
Prachi