Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Alexander Kolesnikov <al...@galactica.ru> on 2005/03/27 21:55:52 UTC

Information about Tapestry is needed

Hello everyone,

I've chosen a topic for my MSc dissertation "Enterprise application
development using Jakarta Tapestry". I've got some initial understanding
about what is Tapestry from the Jakarta.apache.org website as also from
the introduction to the Howard's book (which I've got). And this is
exactly why I have chosen the topic.

However, the work in my university is organized in such a way that
although the dissertation term will start only in September, and I was
going to begin the intensive study of Tapestry in the Summer, I have to
produce the preliminary proposal for my dissertation by the 14th of
April. And for it to be convincing I want to have a good general
understanding of the framework as soon as possible. I am reading the
"Tapestry in Action", of course, but due to numerous distractions of the
current period of my life it is unlikely that I will complete it by the
deadline.

So: the question is: could you point me to some source of information
which could give in a consize and general form the description of
possibilities which Tapestry gives, some examples showing its benefits,
preferably in comparison with other existing Web development frameworks?

Alexander Kolesnikov
(Glasgow Caledonian University, MSc Enterprise Systems Development
programme)

Re: Information about Tapestry is needed

Posted by "t.n.a." <tn...@sharanet.org>.
Alexander Kolesnikov wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I've chosen a topic for my MSc dissertation "Enterprise application
> development using Jakarta Tapestry". I've got some initial
> understanding about what is Tapestry from the Jakarta.apache.org
> website as also from the introduction to the Howard's book (which I've
> got). And this is exactly why I have chosen the topic.
>
> However, the work in my university is organized in such a way that
> although the dissertation term will start only in September, and I was
> going to begin the intensive study of Tapestry in the Summer, I have
> to produce the preliminary proposal for my dissertation by the 14th of
> April. And for it to be convincing I want to have a good general
> understanding of the framework as soon as possible. I am reading the
> "Tapestry in Action", of course, but due to numerous distractions of
> the current period of my life it is unlikely that I will complete it
> by the deadline.
>
> So: the question is: could you point me to some source of information
> which could give in a consize and general form the description of
> possibilities which Tapestry gives, some examples showing its
> benefits, preferably in comparison with other existing Web development
> frameworks?

I don't understand, Alexander: how did you choose your topic if you need
a basic introduction to it?
What do you plan to focus on in the scope of your thesis? Tapestry in
general, some aspect of it, a comparison against the competition, or
something else?
I'm bursting with questions as I'm having some difficulty setting the
boundaries of my own MSc thesis. I'm obviously curios to hear how it's
done elsewhere. :)
BTW, you might consider looking at some or all of the following to help
you define a proposal:
- http://tapestry.sf.net/Tapestry-WebTech.pdf
- http://dorffweb.com/bin/TapestryTutorial-1.0.3.pdf

Hope that's at least part of what you're looking for.

t.n.a.