Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/12 13:28:28 UTC

Online Bookstore

I think it's safe to say that users of ASF software buy their share of
computer books. The online retailers, like Amazon.com, offer
commission programs for people who link to their site.

The Apache Software Foundation is a not-for-profit corporation funded
solely through donations from the community. To help offset the costs
of ASF infrastructure, we could make it possible for ASF supporters to
buy books about ASF project software through commission-program links.

The commissions for such links is usually 5% or more. Given the vast
number of books ASF supporters purchase, the commissions from these
sales could become a respectable source of revenue.

Setting up an online bookstore to benefit the ASF has been a
longstanding itch of mine, which I've finally gotten a chance to
scratch. A prototype bookstore is now available as a Confluence wiki.
You can check it out at:

* http://opensource.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/display/BOOKS/Home

If anyone is interested in helping out with maintaining the site,
please let me know. I'd especially welcome ASF project committers
who'd like to help oversee the section about their project.

If there was interest, we could also add pages for books recommended
by ASF committers.  Here, we could list other related books and
off-topic items, like DVDs and CDs that we enjoy. There's an
unfinished prototype of a committer page here:

*  http://opensource.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/display/BOOKS/husted

If anyone would like to make any existing links commission-program
links, there are instructions for how to do that on the bookstore
Feedback page.

* http://opensource.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/display/BOOKS/Feedback

There is also a general FAQ on the Feedback page.

Of course, this is a 100% volunteer effort and 100% of all commissions
are donated directly to the Apache Software Foundation.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

-Ted.

Re: Online Bookstore

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
On 5/12/05, Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Great idea! A few comments:
>
> 1) Is the PRC aware of this? They need to know this is happening, and
> may even need to approve it, to ensure that it's in line with our
> 501(c)3 status.

Yes. Everything was setup over the fundraising@ list.

Albeit, Justin Erenkrantz and I ran into some creative differences. He
would prefer that we not allow comments, since he believes the ASF
should be impartial. Justin also believes that the PRC should control
the inventory, rather than our committers or PMCs.

An online biblography overseen by an advisory committee didn't scratch
my itch :),  so, at this point, the online bookstore is an independant
entity that is donating money to the ASF.

> 2) Can you add bookpool.com to the vendor choices? They almost always
> have the lowest prices, often by a substantial margin, than other
> online book retailers. (I can only recall one time that I found a book
> cheaper at Amazon than at BookPool.)

Will do.

> 3) This is much wider than Struts Dev! ;-)

I'll be sending the same note to the other projects, and then user
lists, but wanted to tell my friends first :)

Re: Online Bookstore

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
Great idea! A few comments:

Re: Online Bookstore

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
On 5/12/05, Michael Rasmussen <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I  think it might make sense to add a 'Don't see the book you are
> looking for but still want to donate to apache...chick here to search
> with apache's comission tied to your search.'  I would make all my
> Amazon purchases through that link if it were a trivial step in my
> buying.  Maybe it is already there, but a cursory glance did not
> reveal it.

Good idea! I added a browse link for Amazon, and will see about adding
one for the other vendors as well.

-Ted.

Re: Online Bookstore

Posted by Michael Rasmussen <ra...@gmail.com>.
I  think it might make sense to add a 'Don't see the book you are
looking for but still want to donate to apache...chick here to search
with apache's comission tied to your search.'  I would make all my
Amazon purchases through that link if it were a trivial step in my
buying.  Maybe it is already there, but a cursory glance did not
reveal it.

Michael

Re: Online Bookstore

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: Online Bookstore

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
>If there was interest, we could also add pages for books recommended
>by ASF committers.  Here, we could list other related books and
>off-topic items, like DVDs and CDs that we enjoy. There's an
>unfinished prototype of a committer page here:

I'm not sure when I'll have any time to contribute, but I'll say that
I think it would be absolutely fine, appropriate, and even cool to
have a page of books *written by* Apache committers as well.

Joe
--
Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com