Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by ycdtosa <yc...@eupla.unizar.es> on 2005/03/08 16:26:32 UTC

revision number upper boundary?

We are at revision 600, and as some one noticed just 66 numbers away
from the number of the beast.

I'm sure there will be no problem with that revision number at subversion,
and be it whatever limit there is, our project is quite too far away
from it...
but i got curious.

which one is the number of the beast for subversion?
where is the upper limit (if any)?

I've googled but couldn't find an answer there, neither on the book.

PD.- please, just answer if you know it, do not waste your time looking
for the answer.

Thanks.
--

ycdtosa

Re: revision number upper boundary?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Mar 8, 2005, at 10:26 AM, ycdtosa wrote:

> We are at revision 600, and as some one noticed just 66 numbers away
> from the number of the beast.
>
> I'm sure there will be no problem with that revision number at
> subversion,
> and be it whatever limit there is, our project is quite too far away
> from it...
> but i got curious.
>
> which one is the number of the beast for subversion?
> where is the upper limit (if any)?
>
> I've googled but couldn't find an answer there, neither on the book.
>
> PD.- please, just answer if you know it, do not waste your time
> looking for the answer.

 From subversion/include/svn_types.h:

/** A revision number. */
typedef long int svn_revnum_t;

Re: revision number upper boundary?

Posted by Steve Greenland <st...@lsli.com>.
On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 06:47:34PM -0600, Travis wrote:

> Really?  A quick double-check shows that 64-bit longs ("LP64") are
> present when invoking the compile-for-64bit option on these various
> systems:
>
>  - gcc 3.2.3 on a 64-bit Opteron Linux
>  - xlc on AIX (many versions)
>  - cc on 64-bit HPUX system
>  - cc (SUNWspro) on SunOS 5.7

Sure, most compilers have an LP64 mode, but that's not necessarily the
default on a 64bit OS. Most vendors default to prefering "fast" code,
and for many OS/Chip/program combos, the reduced code size of 32 bit
longs wins.

And for anything like subversion, which has to deal with on-disk formats
and intersystem network communications, you don't just flip the LP64
switch and go. (Note that I'm not claiming that Subversion *won't* work
with 64 bit longs, only that it's a non-trivial problem.)

Steve

--
"Outlook not so good." That magic 8-ball knows everything! I'll ask
about Exchange Server next.

Re: revision number upper boundary?

Posted by Travis <sv...@castle.fastmail.fm>.
On Mar 8, 2005, at 4:23 PM, Steve Greenland wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 08:15:43PM -0000, Max Bowsher wrote:
>> 2147483647, i.e. slightly more than 2 billion.
>>
>> That's assuming you are using a 32bit machine, of course.
>>
>> So, if you make 1 commit every second without pause, that will last
>> you
>> until the year 2073, by which time, it's a fairly safe bet that you
>> will
>> have moved on to a 64bit machine, and can enjoy the freedom to have
>> up to 9
>> quintillion revisions.
>
> ObOffTopic: actually, many C implementations for 64bit OS's keep 'long'
> as a 32 bit quantity, using the abomination 'long long' for 64bit
> integer types.
> So as long (heh!) as the subversion revision is kept typed as
> 'long int', it will likely stay a 32 bit integer.

Really?  A quick double-check shows that 64-bit longs ("LP64") are
present when invoking the compile-for-64bit option on these various
systems:

  - gcc 3.2.3 on a 64-bit Opteron Linux
  - xlc on AIX (many versions)
  - cc on 64-bit HPUX system
  - cc (SUNWspro) on SunOS 5.7

Travis

Re: revision number upper boundary?

Posted by Steve Greenland <st...@lsli.com>.
On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 08:15:43PM -0000, Max Bowsher wrote:
> 2147483647, i.e. slightly more than 2 billion.
>
> That's assuming you are using a 32bit machine, of course.
>
> So, if you make 1 commit every second without pause, that will last you
> until the year 2073, by which time, it's a fairly safe bet that you will
> have moved on to a 64bit machine, and can enjoy the freedom to have up to 9
> quintillion revisions.

ObOffTopic: actually, many C implementations for 64bit OS's keep 'long'
as a 32 bit quantity, using the abomination 'long long' for 64bit
integer types. They do this for ABI consistency issues, attempting not
to break third-party libraries. This was a heated topic during the C99
standardization process, because allowing 'long' to be shorter than
the largest standard type breaks code that actually followed the C89
standard.

So as long (heh!) as the subversion revision is kept typed as
'long int', it will likely stay a 32 bit integer.

(Hmmm, knowing nothing about the subversion wire protocol and/or on
disk formats, that 'long int' would worry me. Seems like it ought to be
int32_t...)

Steve

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
ycdtosa wrote:
> We are at revision 600, and as some one noticed just 66 numbers away
> from the number of the beast.
>
> I'm sure there will be no problem with that revision number at subversion,
> and be it whatever limit there is, our project is quite too far away
> from it...
> but i got curious.
>
> which one is the number of the beast for subversion?
> where is the upper limit (if any)?

2147483647, i.e. slightly more than 2 billion.

That's assuming you are using a 32bit machine, of course.

So, if you make 1 commit every second without pause, that will last you
until the year 2073, by which time, it's a fairly safe bet that you will
have moved on to a 64bit machine, and can enjoy the freedom to have up to 9
quintillion revisions.

Max.