Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Hann, Brian" <Br...@umb.com> on 2003/03/19 21:12:55 UTC

notes() and mod_perl ErrorDocuments

I have a mod_perl handler set as the 401 ErrorDocument for a certain
location that requires authentication.  I would like to store data in
notes() in the first location so that the 401 handler can access them.
Is that possible? So far I haven't been able to get it to work.  If it
is not, is there some way I could internally mimic Apache's
authentication challenge/response setup?  For instance, what happens
when you return AUTH_REQUIRED to Apache?  Is it possible to do this
inside a mod_perl handler by using set_handlers()?

Thanks,

Brian Hann

Re: notes() and mod_perl ErrorDocuments

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Hann, Brian wrote:
> I have a mod_perl handler set as the 401 ErrorDocument for a certain
> location that requires authentication.  I would like to store data in
> notes() in the first location so that the 401 handler can access them.
> Is that possible? So far I haven't been able to get it to work.

try $r->prev->notes

> If it
> is not, is there some way I could internally mimic Apache's
> authentication challenge/response setup?  For instance, what happens
> when you return AUTH_REQUIRED to Apache?

this is all explained in chapter 13 in the cookbook, as well as in the eagle
book.  for an example of plugging into authentication, see

http://www.modperlcookbook.org/code/ch13/Cookbook/Authenticate.pm

> Is it possible to do this
> inside a mod_perl handler by using set_handlers()?

well, not really.  unfortunately, you can't just set or push authentication,
since Apache skips it unless you have a Require directive attached to the
ErrorDocument.

HTH

--Geoff