Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Nick Penteado <np...@ces-landtec.com> on 2006/03/14 02:54:55 UTC

Create SVN Repo with starting revision number XXXX?

Hello all;
I am trying to migrate existing data from VSS into SVN (or leave
existing releases in VSS and from now on use SVN) and I was wondering if
there is any way to set the starting revision number to something
besides 0.  My reasoning for this is that I would like to use the
revision number as the build number of a project, however if I start at
0, the build numbers will be less than existing released software.  Does
anyone see any draw backs to using the revision number in this way?
I've successfully accomplished this in a test environment by creating an
empty repository, dumping it to file, manually changing the
Revision-number line to say 1234, then loading the modified dump file
back into the repository, but this seems like an ugly hack.  Any
comments/ideas would be appreciated.

Nick

Re: Create SVN Repo with starting revision number XXXX?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 14, 2006, at 03:54, Nick Penteado wrote:

> I am trying to migrate existing data from VSS into SVN (or leave
> existing releases in VSS and from now on use SVN) and I was
> wondering if
> there is any way to set the starting revision number to something
> besides 0.  My reasoning for this is that I would like to use the
> revision number as the build number of a project, however if I
> start at
> 0, the build numbers will be less than existing released software.
> Does
> anyone see any draw backs to using the revision number in this way?
> I've successfully accomplished this in a test environment by
> creating an
> empty repository, dumping it to file, manually changing the
> Revision-number line to say 1234, then loading the modified dump file
> back into the repository, but this seems like an ugly hack.  Any
> comments/ideas would be appreciated.

It's generally recommended not to attach additional meaning to the
revision number, which is, as simply as possible, "the number of
changes that have been made to the repository."

Re: Create SVN Repo with starting revision number XXXX?

Posted by Miha Vitorovic <mv...@nil.si>.
I think modifying the dump file is about the only way to do what you want.
I would just like point out another thing that people usually complain
about: subversion has no way of updating a specific file to the last
revision number of a repository unless you update or commit that file.

http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#version-value-in-source

Cheers,
---
  Miha Vitorovic
  Inženir v tehničnem področju
  Customer Support Engineer

   NIL Data Communications,  Tivolska cesta 48,  1000 Ljubljana,  Slovenia
   Phone +386 1 4746 500      Fax +386 1 4746 501     http://www.NIL.si