Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com> on 2000/09/19 18:19:11 UTC

Re: Is struts a hybrid or page-centric and servlet-centric design?

"Leland, Robert" wrote:

> I was wrong, and I jumped the gun. In that wheather struts uses
> request parameters,at least in the example,or not doesn't
> determine wheather it is server-centric or not. So it
> is servlet-centric, gotta read those doc's more.

I would agree with that characterization, but I haven't read the book -- only
the quote you cited.

> The fact that I have flexability in how I go about sending
> commands to the servlet from the JSP is good.

Yep.  Lots of people send "commands" with their form submits via hidden fields
-- I was just making it explicit in the example app by using a query parameter
instead so that the form could stay pure data.  The servlet container merges the
query parameters and the posted fields for you, so the action class does not
care how this is done.

> -Rob

Craig

                                    Applications to Tomcat