Posted to dev@wookie.apache.org by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/11 10:05:55 UTC

Fwd: Several podling reports still missing at http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/May2010, due today

I've updated the report here:

http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/May2010#Wookie

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>
> Date: 11 May 2010 08:24:50 GMT+01:00
> To: Incubator General <ge...@incubator.apache.org>
> Subject: Several podling reports still missing at http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/May2010, due today
>
> Title says all ;-)
> -Bertrand

Re: important todo: remove hibernate

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
Ross/All:

Actually, I'd prefer to make it as non-intrusive as possible,
(preserving the Active Record Pattern already in place if I can). Of
course, this may not be possible in the end but I think its worth a try.
I'd like to start with 2-3 plugins to prove out a pluggable persistence
component API... say JPA, JCR, and possibly a file or another nosql
implementation.

I'd prefer to do some prototyping first, and then move to a branch once
I can report some success. If some others want to participate, creating
a branch would be required. A branch would also obviously be best for
carrying out reviews as the implementation converges.

All comments and feedback welcome!

Randy

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 11/05/2010 22:33, Copeland, Bryan wrote:
> Can't promise any brilliant code or anything, but I'll at least look
> into Cayenne and compare with what I already know about Hibernate,
> JPA and no-SQL tools so that I might be able to at least make a more
> reasonable recommendation, if not contribute some sample code at some
> point of how to connect Wookie to at least one of the no-SQL
> datastores...

Sounds like you will do a better job of it than I would. It would be
great to see some sample code to complement Randy;s proposed work in JPA
and JSR.

Great to have you folk on board.

Ross

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
Scott/Paul,

Thanks guys!

Randy

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Sharples <p....@bolton.ac.uk>.

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Sharples <p....@bolton.ac.uk>.

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 12/05/2010 17:36, Randy Watler wrote:
> Scott, Bryan, Kris, and Ross:
>
> I have been looking into existing Wookie persistent object
> implementation and how I might maintain the existing Active Record
> Pattern APIs. Thus far, it seems that there are basically two pluggable
> approaches to choose from:
>
> 1. Maintain the existing Active Record Pattern/classes and use hidden
> delegates for each object to support different persistence
> implementations, or
> 2. replace the existing classes with interfaces and a persistence
> component that encapsulates the implementations.
>
> The advantage of keeping the Active Record Pattern intact is that it
> maximally preserves the existing code base and designs, but in order to
> make it pluggable it seems to require shadow objects and the complexity
> that entails. Moving to a persistence component API with interfaces
> allows more flexibility in which to deliver the persistence mappings,
> but is obviously more intrusive.
>
> Any implementation preference, thoughts, or comments?

For me ease of maintenance and clear APIs is always the way to go in the
long term.

A little short term disruption for long term gain is always worth it.

Ross

Re: important todo: remove hibernate

Re: important todo: remove hibernate

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
On 11 May 2010, at 22:33, Copeland, Bryan wrote:

>>> I dont have any experience with Thrift+Cayenne, but I'd be happy to include that configuration/technology stack in any approach.
>
>> Bryan can probably help there I imagine..?
>
> In fact I have no experience with Cayenne. Of the projects listed so far, I'm most probably comfortable with Cassandra (twissandra project is an excellent crash-course in that btw: http://github.com/ericflo/twissandra)

D'oh I actually meant Cassandra!

Posted by "Copeland, Bryan" <Br...@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca>.

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
Scott:

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
Kris/All:

Posted by Kris Popat <kj...@googlemail.com>.
On 11 May 2010, at 15:07, Copeland, Bryan wrote:

> Kris,
>
> When you mentioned building your own file-based solution it made me
> think of the growing "no-SQL" movement. I wonder if it might be
> useful to leverage yet again another Apache project, Cassandra:
> http://cassandra.apache.org/
>
> For "very large-scale" systems (and likely much more complicated),
> is Apache Hadoop:
> http://hadoop.apache.org/
>
> Probably most know about these, but they are examples of key-based
> and graph-based storage systems, respectively... Document-based
> approaches already exist too, so it may make sense to leverage the
> work done by the CouchDB team:
> http://couchdb.apache.org/
>
> Just thought I'd share that as the first two projects, and Wookie,
> are currently the three up and coming Apache projects my
> organization is tracking most closely. I'm not sure who will win the
> "efficiency/lightweight data store war", but in the end, an approach
> which offers options and flexibility for datastore configuration
> will probably be the nicest for the community, but, most difficult
> to accomplish because of the differences between RDBMS and Graph-
> based camps, perhaps Document-based might be a nice middle-ground
> though?

Thanks for that, will add them to the list of possibilities on the
wiki.  These look very interesting.  Best for us is to find something
that slots in easily replacing the current db middleware that we are
using taking issues of robustness, extensibility, load handling and
licensing into consideration.  Will be spending some time on this over
the next few days tinkering and evaluating

> Bryan

Kris

Posted by Kris Popat <kj...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
On 11 May 2010, at 09:16, Ross Gardler wrote:

> On 11/05/2010 09:05, Scott Wilson wrote:
>> I've updated the report here:
>>
>> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/May2010#Wookie
>
> +1 to your report.
>
> A busy quarter.
>
> I'm largely silent at present due to spending all my time on http://www.transfersummit.com (people should come, it's a great conference).
>
> Once that's out of the way I want to really crack on with getting rid of hibernate so we can get a release out the door. In my opinion, we need a release to really start building community.
>
> Of course, if someone wants to get cracking on that before me I'll gladly start a branch for that work and keep it aligned with trunk for you (asuuming you are not already a committer).

Here's a placeholder wiki page for comparing the options to replace Hibernate:

http://incubator.apache.org/wookie/persistence.html

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.