Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Joerg Heinicke <jh...@virbus.de> on 2003/10/23 15:40:20 UTC

[FYI] Apache Cocoon Directory Traversal Vulnerability

http://www.securiteam.com/securitynews/6W00L0U8KC.html

Hey, someone wanted to test the Cocoon community :-)

Joerg

--
System Development
VIRBUS AG

Re: Release 2.1.3? (Was: Re: [FYI] Apache Cocoon Directory Traversal Vulnerability)

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Tony Collen dijo:
> Joerg Heinicke wrote:
>
>> http://www.securiteam.com/securitynews/6W00L0U8KC.html
>>
>> Hey, someone wanted to test the Cocoon community :-)
>>
>> Joerg
>>

> Hm, I think we should consider releasing 2.1.3 as a security update.
>
> Thoughts?

+1 A new release right now!

Antonio Gallardo

Re: Release 2.1.3? (Was: Re: [FYI] Apache Cocoon Directory Traversal Vulnerability)

Posted by Ugo Cei <u....@cbim.it>.
Tony Collen wrote:
> Hm, I think we should consider releasing 2.1.3 as a security update.
>
> Thoughts?

Not just for that but for incorporating all the fixes that were done at
the GT and more.

But, can we please make sure that the test suite runs, this time?

Otherwise, +1 from me.

	Ugo

Phone: +39.0382.525100 - E-mail: u.cei@cbim.it

Re: Release 2.1.3? (Was: Re: [FYI] Apache Cocoon Directory Traversal Vulnerability)

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jh...@virbus.de>.
On 24.10.2003 21:09, Tony Collen wrote:

> In this case, do we have any procedure for fixing something "bad" like
> the directory traveral bug, and getting a fix out to users in a timely
> fashion?
>
> One possible solution:  Fix the problem in CVS HEAD, and then backport
> it to the last released version (in this case 2.1.2), and make a small
> security update release -- maybe as 2.1.3 or 2.1.2pl1 or something.
>
> Even though the problem isn't that bad since it's in a sample, something
> may come down the road later where we have to fix something of a more
> serious nature, and get a new version out.  Waiting for a freeze/release
> cycle might be too long if the problem is urgent enough.
>
> Thoughts?

IMO Cocoon core is so stable that we can do a release at every time.

Even an immediate fix is possible:

cvs co cocoon-2.1 -r 2.1.2

Fix it on the local checkout and release it as you suggested. A freeze
period is not necessary then of course.

Joerg

Re: Release 2.1.3? (Was: Re: [FYI] Apache Cocoon Directory Traversal Vulnerability)

Posted by Tony Collen <co...@umn.edu>.
Geoff Howard wrote:
> Tony Collen wrote:
>
>> Joerg Heinicke wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.securiteam.com/securitynews/6W00L0U8KC.html
>>>
>>> Hey, someone wanted to test the Cocoon community :-)
>>>
>>> Joerg
>>>

>> Hm, I think we should consider releasing 2.1.3 as a security update.
>

> +1  I thought Carsten had already proposed a date because of the
> Gettogether improvements?

In this case, do we have any procedure for fixing something "bad" like the directory traveral bug,
and getting a fix out to users in a timely fashion?

One possible solution:  Fix the problem in CVS HEAD, and then backport it to the last released
version (in this case 2.1.2), and make a small security update release -- maybe as 2.1.3 or 2.1.2pl1
or something.

Even though the problem isn't that bad since it's in a sample, something may come down the road
later where we have to fix something of a more serious nature, and get a new version out.  Waiting
for a freeze/release cycle might be too long if the problem is urgent enough.

Thoughts?

Tony

Re: Release 2.1.3? (Was: Re: [FYI] Apache Cocoon Directory Traversal Vulnerability)

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Ah, yes, you're right - we should then start the freeze period after
> the "FirstFriday" and make the release on the following thursday,
> the 13th (thank god, it's not a friday, the 13th).

+1

Geoff

Re: Release 2.1.3? (Was: Re: [FYI] Apache Cocoon Directory Traversal Vulnerability)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le Vendredi, 24 oct 2003, à 09:57 Europe/Zurich, Carsten Ziegeler a
écrit :

> Joerg Heinicke wrote:
>> If we wait til November I will suggest to release after FirstFriday on
>> November, 7th.
>>
>> http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=FirstFriday
>>
> Ah, yes, you're right - we should then start the freeze period after
> the "FirstFriday" and make the release on the following thursday,
> the 13th (thank god, it's not a friday, the 13th).

Good idea, +1

-Bertrand

RE: Release 2.1.3? (Was: Re: [FYI] Apache Cocoon Directory Traversal Vulnerability)

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jh...@virbus.de>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.

Posted by Tony Collen <co...@umn.edu>.

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.
Nice one... I put a summary of it all in Bugzilla.

/LS