Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Aaron Daubman <da...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/08 20:54:35 UTC

Preventing accepting queries while custom QueryComponent starts up?

Greetings,

I have several custom QueryComponents that have high one-time startup costs
(hashing things in the index, caching things from a RDBMS, etc...)

Is there a way to prevent solr from accepting connections before all
QueryComponents are "ready"?

Especially, since many of our instance are load-balanced (and
added-in/removed automatically based on admin/ping responses) preventing
ping from answering prior to all custom QueryComponents being ready would
be ideal...

Thanks,
     Aaron

Re: Preventing accepting queries while custom QueryComponent starts up?

Posted by Amit Nithian <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Aaron,

Check out
http://lucene.apache.org/solr/api-4_0_0-BETA/org/apache/solr/handler/PingRequestHandler.html
You'll see the ?action=enable/disable. I have our load balancers remove the
server out of rotation when the response code != 200 for some number of
times in a row which I suspect you are doing too. If I am rolling releasing
our search code to production, it gets disabled, sleep for some known
number of seconds for the LB to yank the search server out of rotation,
push the code, execute some queries using CURL to ensure a response (the
warming process should block the request until done) and then enable.

HTH!
Amit

Posted by Aaron Daubman <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Amit Nithian <an...@gmail.com>.
Sorry I misunderstood. I am having difficulty finding this but it's never
clear the exact load order. It seems odd that you'd be getting requests
when the filter (DispatchFilter) hasn't 100% loaded yet.

I didn't think that the admin handler would allow requests while the
dispatch filter is still init'ing but sounds like it is? I'll have to play
with this to see.. curious what the problem is for we have a similar setup
but not as bad of an init problem (plus when I deploy, my deploy script
runs some actual simple test queries to ensure they return before enabling
the ping handler to return 200s) to avoid this problem.

Cheers
Amit

Posted by Aaron Daubman <da...@gmail.com>.
Amit,

Posted by Amit Nithian <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Amit Nithian <an...@gmail.com>.
Jack,

I think the issue is that the ping which is used to determine whether or
not the server is live returns a seemingly false positive back to the load
balancer (and indirectly the client) that this server is ready to go when
in fact it's not. Reading this page (
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrConfigXml), it does seem to be documented
to do this but it may not be fully stressed to hide your Solr behind a load
balancer.  I am more than happy to write up a post that, in my opinion at
least, stresses some best practices on the use of Solr based on my
experience if others find this useful.

What seems odd here is that the ping is a query so maybe the ping query in
the solrconfig (for Aaron and others having this) should be configured to
hit the handler that is used by the front end app so that while that
handler is warming up the ping query will be blocked.

Of course using the load balancer means that the app layer knows nothing
about servers in and out of rotation.

Cheers!
Amit

Posted by Amit Nithian <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Amit Nithian <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: I have several custom QueryComponents that have high one-time startup costs
: (hashing things in the index, caching things from a RDBMS, etc...)

you need to provide more details about how your custom components work --
in particular: where in teh lifecycle of your components is this
high-startup cost happening?

: Is there a way to prevent solr from accepting connections before all
: QueryComponents are "ready"?

Define "ready" ? ... things that happen in the init() and inform(SolrCore)
methods will completley prevent the SolrCore from being available for
queries.

Likewise: if you are using "firstSearcher" warming queries, then the
"useColdSearcher" option in solrconfig.xml can be used to control wether
or not external requests will "block" until the searcher is available or
not -- however this doesn't prevent the servlet container from "accepting"
the HTTP connection.  but as mentioned, this is where things like the
PingRequestHandler and the enable/disable commands can be used to take
servers in and out of rotation with your load balancer -- assuming that
your load balanver can be configured to monitor the ping URL.
Alternatively you can just use native features of your load balancer to
control this independent of solr (but the ping handler is a nice way of
letting one set of dev/ops folks own the solr servers and control their
availability even if they don't have the ability to control the load
blaancer itself)

-Hoss