Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by karthikn <ka...@xius-bcgi.com> on 2008/09/24 14:49:38 UTC

Some Prilim questions

Hi

Spec:
O/s :  Unix HP 11i
Tomcat : 6.0.18
J2sdk : 1.6
DB : Oracle 10g

Question

1)       Which is faster JNDI Based Connection pool / ordinary JDBC based connection / close ?

2)       In JNDI / context based  Connection pool  for the code given below

       DataSource ODS =(javax.sql.DataSource)ic.lookup("java:comp/env/jdbc/MYSCEMA");
       Connection conn = ODS.getConnection()

       // Insert /Update /Delete/...

       conn.close() --> What does this code do ? (return connection to pool or close the connection )

    Googled /yahooed but non correct answers ....

Please advice
Karthik

Re: [OT obviously] Re: Some Prilim questions

Posted by János Löbb <ja...@yale.edu>.
> . The gamma energies used
> generally range from 0,05 MeV to 3 MeV."

Yes!!  That is exactly I need to able to read this list.  3 Megawatti
minimum, forget about electronVolts.  Even better 5 GigaWatt.  Where
is the LHC when I need it ??  .... to generate some black holes ??

János

Re: [OT obviously] Re: Some Prilim questions

Posted by Pid <p...@pidster.com>.
Martin Gainty wrote:
> In other words if you have an opportunity to attack someone instead of providing an intelligent
> solution then yes by all means CHANGE the question (so you'll look good and the other guy looks like an idiot..) from a JDBC DataSource lookup to LDAP question..

I did provide the correct answers, or rather, repeat them.

> if the question is a comparison of a local  lookup vs remote lookups you will need a J2EE server and understand Remote architectures (which TC is not) and you will need to know how to setup and reference the remote object

This may be true, but it *wasn't* the question. Local/Remote isn't
mentioned in the question anywhere.

> so I disgress back to the question which is if I have a DB server in NY and I have a TC container running in India
> how do I acquire the fastest response for a DB Connection for my client ?

Just for my own amusement, here is the original question in full:

1) Which is faster JNDI Based Connection pool / ordinary JDBC based
connection / close ?

2) In JNDI / context based  Connection pool  for the code given below

  DataSource ODS
=(javax.sql.DataSource)ic.lookup("java:comp/env/jdbc/MYSCEMA");
  Connection conn = ODS.getConnection()

  // Insert /Update /Delete/...
  conn.close() --> What does this code do ? (return connection to pool
or close the connection )

  Googled /yahooed but non correct answers ....

<<<<< ends here <<<<<

Prizes for anyone who can spot the references to India or Ithaca within.

I think the real question is this: what is the result of this
calculation: ( any large prime number ) divided by zero?

The point I was so laboriously making, is that it's easy to post
irrelevant nonsense scraped from the depths of the internet.  But it's
not helpful, so please stop it.

> I can think of 2 options which I will discuss offline with the client
> allowing chris and his/her political attack machine to continue ..

P.S. Ummm, didn't you write "Dumbkopf!" ?

> in the meanwhile  Microsoft continues to convert TC installations to .NET..

WTF are you on about now?  No, don't answer. /Please/.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: [OT obviously] Re: Some Prilim questions

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Pid <p...@pidster.com>.
David Smith wrote:
> Stab in the dark guess on Ithaca -- I'm one of the people that first
> responded to the OP and my email domain is cornell.edu, whose main
> campus is in Ithaca, NY

Interesting... is that new?
I don't remember seeing that occur before.

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.

Posted by Pid <p...@pidster.com>.

RE: Some Prilim questions

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
no no no..

Re: Some Prilim questions

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Some Prilim questions

Posted by Pid <p...@pidster.com>.
David Smith wrote:
> I have no idea where you are going with this ... it makes no sense to
> the original question.

Don't worry. I think they're testing a humour module.

Re: Some Prilim questions

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
I have no idea where you are going with this ... it makes no sense to
the original question.

If you mean the webapp is hosted on a geographically distant place from
the database server, then you'll have latency like no tomorrow
regardless of whether a database pool is used or not.

The point and reason developers use a database pool is the pooled
connections are already formed.  Getting a connection is just borrowing
it from the pool and closing is just returning it after your all done.
Pooling makes sense because connection handshaking and authentication is
done once on the first call for a connection.  Each successive borrow of
that connection is ready immediately without any overhead associated
with forming a new one.

--David

RE: Some Prilim questions

Posted by karthikn <ka...@xius-bcgi.com>.
Hi

Good Joke :(

With regards
Karthik

RE: Some Prilim questions

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.

RE: Some Prilim questions

Posted by karthikn <ka...@xius-bcgi.com>.
Hi

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
read this

Re: Some Prilim questions

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.

> 1)       Which is faster JNDI Based Connection pool / ordinary JDBC based connection / close ?

JNDI based connection pool.  The connections are potentially already
formed and ready for use when you call for one.  Ordinary JDBC would
explicitly create a new connection everytime you need one with all the
costs associated with that.

> conn.close() --> What does this code do ? (return connection to pool or close the connection )

It's essentially pool implementation specific, but in most db pools, the
connection is simply returned to the pool and made available to the next
request for a connection.

--David