Posted to dev@archiva.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2007/08/01 11:31:11 UTC

reporting & jasper reports

Hi all,

This is mainly for Deng and Teody as I've seen them working through
the issue for reporting... I took a look at the latest patch and it's
looking pretty good.

I did go to check about the jasper reports license, though, and it
appears from the POM that it is LGPL.

Though it's not official (yet), we shouldn't be distributing it
according to the ASF policy: http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/
3party.html#transition

So, I think we have 3 options if we continue to do this:
- put it in a separate module (and profile) that isn't distributed
with continuum, but can be built manually and installed
- require the user to drop jasperreports into WEB-INF/lib (and
gracefully fail if they don't)
- come up with a whiz-bang addon installer that can get them to
confirm the license and grab the jasper stuff from the repository (a
bit much for now :)

I'm thinking 1) is the best way to go, and provide a bland, default
implementation of the reporting pages that doesn't use jasper (just a
spit out a table of everything).

WDYT?

Cheers,
Brett

Re: reporting & jasper reports

Posted by "Teody Cue Jr." <tc...@exist.com>.
Brett Porter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is mainly for Deng and Teody as I've seen them working through
> the issue for reporting... I took a look at the latest patch and it's
> looking pretty good.
>
> I did go to check about the jasper reports license, though, and it
> appears from the POM that it is LGPL.
>
> Though it's not official (yet), we shouldn't be distributing it
> according to the ASF policy:
> http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html#transition
>
> So, I think we have 3 options if we continue to do this:
> - put it in a separate module (and profile) that isn't distributed
> with continuum, but can be built manually and installed
> - require the user to drop jasperreports into WEB-INF/lib (and
> gracefully fail if they don't)
> - come up with a whiz-bang addon installer that can get them to
> confirm the license and grab the jasper stuff from the repository (a
> bit much for now :)
>
> I'm thinking 1) is the best way to go, and provide a bland, default
> implementation of the reporting pages that doesn't use jasper (just a
> spit out a table of everything).
+1 to this. :) Then we can provide a default page with eXtremComponents
for the table.

> WDYT?
>
> Cheers,
> Brett

Base on the responds to the issue I will implement the following tonight:
-Take out artifact search
-Use a drop down for the repository id
-Put everything on 1 form - this will automatically be using 1 action
and remove the 3 detailed actions on the last patch
-Publish the report on a separate blank page
-Drop the last 3 columns from the report
-Take out version link
-Add unit tests

Thanks,
Teody

Re: reporting & jasper reports

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 01/08/2007, at 8:17 PM, Maria Odea Ching wrote:

> Brett Porter wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> This is mainly for Deng and Teody as I've seen them working
>> through the issue for reporting... I took a look at the latest
>> patch and it's looking pretty good.
>>
>> I did go to check about the jasper reports license, though, and it
>> appears from the POM that it is LGPL.
>>
>> Though it's not official (yet), we shouldn't be distributing it
>> according to the ASF policy: http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/
>> 3party.html#transition
>>
>> So, I think we have 3 options if we continue to do this:
>> - put it in a separate module (and profile) that isn't distributed
>> with continuum, but can be built manually and installed
>
> I take it this should be archiva not continuum? :)
> anyway, +1 to this!

yup, sorry continuum on the brain trying to set up vmbuild :)

Posted by Maria Odea Ching <oc...@exist.com>.
Brett Porter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is mainly for Deng and Teody as I've seen them working through
> the issue for reporting... I took a look at the latest patch and it's
> looking pretty good.
>
> I did go to check about the jasper reports license, though, and it
> appears from the POM that it is LGPL.
>
> Though it's not official (yet), we shouldn't be distributing it
> according to the ASF policy:
> http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html#transition
>
> So, I think we have 3 options if we continue to do this:
> - put it in a separate module (and profile) that isn't distributed
> with continuum, but can be built manually and installed

I take it this should be archiva not continuum? :)
anyway, +1 to this!

> - require the user to drop jasperreports into WEB-INF/lib (and
> gracefully fail if they don't)
> - come up with a whiz-bang addon installer that can get them to
> confirm the license and grab the jasper stuff from the repository (a
> bit much for now :)
>
> I'm thinking 1) is the best way to go, and provide a bland, default
> implementation of the reporting pages that doesn't use jasper (just a
> spit out a table of everything).
>
> WDYT?
>
> Cheers,
> Brett

Thanks,
Deng

Re: reporting & jasper reports

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 03/08/2007, at 10:18 PM, Joakim Erdfelt wrote:

> That translation (explanation?) is *far* easier to understand than
> the URL you pointed to.

heh, lawyers :) Glad I'm useful for something!

>> Teody said on this thread yesterday that he was working on updates
>> based on the feedback Deng had given in the issue, so if that
>> patch looks ok too and gets applied, we'll then need to deal with
>> this before we can move forward with the release next week.
>
> The current set of patches are already applied.
> We'll have to kinda/sorta undo them.

I haven't looked at the submitted patch - but yeah if it's not based
on an svn up it might need to be rolled back first. No big deal.

I was going to take a look after completing MRM-430 tonight, but if
you want to run with it feel free!

Posted by Joakim Erdfelt <jo...@erdfelt.com>.

--
- Joakim Erdfelt
  joakim@erdfelt.com

Re: reporting & jasper reports

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 03/08/2007, at 3:23 AM, Joakim Erdfelt wrote:

> While I understand the need to be vigilant on licenses in use.
> I don't understand why LGPL is excluded.
>
> And that URL you pointed to seems to makes a distinction only on
> using LGPLed code.

"The following licenses must not apply to any software within an
Apache product, whether in source or binary form" (from Software
License Criteria and Categories > Category X).

Posted by Joakim Erdfelt <jo...@erdfelt.com>.