Posted to commons-dev@ws.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/11 14:31:30 UTC

site management

The site process as I figured it out for XML Schema leaves me sort of worried.

Here's what I did:

1) I did an SVN co of the deployed site tree to my local machine.
2) I modified src/site in the current development branch to reflect the release.
3) I ran mvn site:site. I thought i had used -Dsite.blah to point it
to the checkout from (1), but I failed.
4) I used cpio to copy all the generated site materials from the
target directory to the checkout from (1).
5) I fixed some files that maven generated with Windows newlines that
bothered svn.
6) I submitted.

I see a number of problems with this.

1) If we ever delete a class or a package, it will be a pain to ensure
that the leftovers are svn rm'ed from the site tree.
2) If we have multiple live branches, how do we do this at all, in
terms of advertising the javadoc and downloads?
3) The download page is an annoying thing to deal with. I don't
suppose there is some way to automate it.
4) mvn generates links to and content for useless 'plugin' pages, even
though this project creates no maven plugins. Is there a way to
suppress?