Posted to xmlrpc-dev@ws.apache.org by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net> on 2003/05/01 18:48:36 UTC

Today's updates

Hi all,

I went to use CVS head today and maven wouldn't build it because of some
test failures.  I have updated the project.xml to reflect our abstract
Tests, but Base64Test and LiteXmlRpcTransportTest were failing as well.

As Apache Commons Codec was recently released as a stable component, I
have integrated that version of Base64.  This has raised a couple issues:

- Base64.encode() and Base64.decode() throw exceptions now.  In HttpUtil
and SimpleXmlRpcClient I have simply caught the EncoderExceptions and
rethrown RuntimeExceptions because in the current version of Base64 the
exceptions are not actually thrown.  I also swallowed the
DecoderException in SimpleXmlRpcClient and just refused to decode
anything that throws a DecoderException.  In WebServer and XmlWriter I
handled the Exceptions in a cleaner way, preserving current
functionality.  In DefaultTypeFactory, I simply decoded broken Base64
data to an empty byte[], since our previous implementation silently
removed broken data from the stream anyway, most probably leaving
garbled data.
- LiteXmlRpcTransportTest failed because a previous test took some time
to close the connection to the local server.  I added a little retry
loop which fixed that.

Of course, the dependency conversations will begin again.  Commons Codec
is yet another dependency, and in CVS HEAD even the applet will depend
on it.  We will need to sort this out.  I had an idea I want to play
with using Maven voodoo that might resolve both this, and other
dependency issues such as Commons Logging.  After I flesh it out and try
it I will ping you all back.

--
Ryan Hoegg
ISIS Networks