Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/16 10:42:43 UTC

[maven-eclipse-plugin] We need your help to test the future 2.7

Hi Community,
  The recent release 2.6 of the maven-eclipse-plugin created many problems
for all of those who had/wanted to store non-java files under src/*/java
(which is required for wicket, ajdt, and probably others usecases).
  Even we have many integration tests in this plugin we didn't notice this
issue because our testcases allow us to check that generated configuration
files aren't evolving and that we are able to import and use a project in
eclipse (too heavy to do).

  To fix this issue we (Barrie to be honest) improved the plugin to allow
the usage of includes and excludes. :
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MECLIPSE-104
  The documentation of these feature is here :
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin-2.7-SNAPSHOT/examples/specifying-source-path-inclusions-and-exclusions.html
There are many broken links on the site and I don't know why. I'll
investigate later.
Others pages are the same in
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/
For AJDT project you can have a look at this page :
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin-
2.7-SNAPSHOT/examples/ajdt-projects.html

To test the plugin you have to add in your project or in your settings this
repository :
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/
(be careful to the https protocol)
The last version I deployed is : 2.7-20090416.000603-3

Please, test it and give us your feedback. If it is positive this week,
we'll launch the release process the next one.

cheers,

--
Arnaud

Re: how to define license?

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> When building the project's site with 'mvn site' I can't figure out how
> to configure the license. "Project Information > Project License" on the
> website maven builds the page says " No project license is defined for
> this project"  So how do I define a license?

Google "maven pom license" brought me to this page:
http://tomionsoftware.blogspot.com/2005/12/maven-2-how-to-add-licensetxt.html

Wayne

how to define license?

Posted by "REMIJAN, MICHAEL J [AG/1000]" <mi...@monsanto.com>.
When building the project's site with 'mvn site' I can't figure out how
to configure the license. "Project Information > Project License" on the
website maven builds the page says " No project license is defined for
this project"  So how do I define a license?

Thanks,
Mike

This e-mail message may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and is intended to be received only by persons entitled to receive such information. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately. Please delete it and all attachments from any servers, hard drives or any other media. Other use of this e-mail by you is strictly prohibited.

All e-mails and attachments sent and received are subject to monitoring, reading and archival by Monsanto, including its subsidiaries. The recipient of this e-mail is solely responsible for checking for the presence of "Viruses" or other "Malware". Monsanto, along with its subsidiaries, accepts no liability for any damage caused by any such code transmitted by or accompanying this e-mail or any attachment.

Re: Including Javadocs (API) with project website

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 4:35 PM, REMIJAN, MICHAEL J [AG/1000]
<mi...@monsanto.com> wrote:
> Two part question,
>
> 1) is it possible for 'mvn site' to automatically generate javadocs or
> do I always have to do javadoc:javadoc before running 'mvn site'

Put it in the <reporting> section, as described on
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-javadoc-plugin/usage.html

> 2) Is there standard <menu> in site.xml to generate the hyperlink to the
> javadocs?

I think it shows up automatically in the Project Reports section.  You
can add a link from other pages/menus if you want.

--
Wendy

Including Javadocs (API) with project website

Re: [maven-eclipse-plugin] We need your help to test the future 2.7

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
thx for this feedbackI deployed a new snapshot : 2.7-20090427.230850-4
It includes the fixe for
MECLIPSE-455<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MECLIPSE-455>
 : Invalid dependent module archive name for EJB artifact
*
*
Cheers

Arnaud

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
Ping ??Nobody wants to test it ?

--
Arnaud

Re: [maven-eclipse-plugin] We need your help to test the future 2.7

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
Anything else?

Should we start the release process again then?

Re: [maven-eclipse-plugin] We need your help to test the future 2.7

Posted by Jim Sellers <ji...@gmail.com>.
I agree.  I find that developer moan about *any* change, but within a week
or 2 they don't want it changed back.

Personally if the src folders that show up in eclipse change from a group of
src folders followed by a group of test folders to alternating test / src /
test / src, I would find that more confusing (but maybe that's just me).

For the number of hours I've wasted tracking down classpath ordering
differences between eclipse and maven, I don't understand why we would
diverge from maven for any reason.

I agree about the ctrl-shift-t and ctrl-shift-r as well.  So much easier
than actually looking for the types / resources. ;-)

Jim

Posted by Dirk Olmes <di...@xanthippe.ping.de>.
>>> Regarding the new classpath ordering invented with 2.6, can you please
>>> comment again in MECLIPSE-544 for my proposal (I mention it here, since
>>> the issue is already closed). A classpath order like
>>>
>>> src/test/resource
>>> src/main/java
>>> src/test/java

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
How is doing the m2eclipse/q4e plugins (these are now for me references on
how to integrate eclipse and maven).
Arnaud

Arnaud

Re: [maven-eclipse-plugin] We need your help to test the future 2.7

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi Barrie,

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.

Posted by "ari.meyer" <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi Arnaud,

Sorry, my bad -- missed reading those changes.  I re-tested it and it works
fine with the inclusions setting, but I agree with Martijn that MECLIPSE-443
is not the best way to go.

Thanks again,
Ari

Posted by Dirk Olmes <di...@xanthippe.ping.de>.
Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> Yes, and I've been burned by m2eclipse, and haven't heard loving
> reports from co-workers about q4e either. Not installing any of them
> anytime soon.

The same here. I'd rather maintain a fork of the m-e-p that does exactly
what I want than installing one of the eclipse plugins.

-dirk

Re: [maven-eclipse-plugin] We need your help to test the future 2.7

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
Well, here's one for q4e. Ever since they implemented the incremental
builder, I haven't had any issues with it and it's been fast enough for me
(got 30 or so linked Eclipse projects on my workspace).

Kalle

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 7:35 AM, Martijn Dashorst <

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
Ok a 2.7 is being built and voting has started.

If you would like to participate in testing please see "Guide to
testing staged releases":
http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html

And the nabble archive of the vote at
http://www.nabble.com/-VOTE--Release-Maven-Eclipse-plugin-version-2.7-to23845855.html

Re: [maven-eclipse-plugin] We need your help to test the future 2.7

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
We also tested it with an AspectJ project, and that works as well.

Martijn

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
Works great! Thanks Barrie!!!

[...]

       List of artifacts without a javadoc archive:

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 5:17 PM, Martijn Dashorst
<ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://wicket.apache.org/quickstart.html
>
> Select for example Wicket 1.3.6

I went quickly hacking an existing IT test to include the resources
definition you provided and some debugging output (as ERROR so I could
see it)

[ERROR] Resources = [Resource {targetPath: null, filtering: false,
FileSet {directory:
D:\ide\maven\maven-eclipse-plugin\target\test-classes\projects\project-53-MECLIPSE-551\src\main\java,
PatternSet [includes: {**/*}, excludes: {**/*.java, **/*.sample}]}}]
[DEBUG] Processing resource dir:
D:\ide\maven\maven-eclipse-plugin\target\test-classes\projects\project-53-MECLIPSE-551\src\main\java
[DEBUG] Making relative and fixing separator: {
D:\ide\maven\maven-eclipse-plugin\target\test-classes\projects\project-53-MECLIPSE-551,
D:\ide\maven\maven-eclipse-plugin\target\test-classes\projects\project-53-MECLIPSE-551\target\classes,
false }.
[DEBUG] Adding eclipse source dir: { src/main/java, target/classes,
true, false, **/*, **/*.java|**/*.sample|**/*.java }.
[ERROR] Failed to add eclipse source dir: src/main/java as it already
exists in the set.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 1:17 AM, Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 11:03 PM, Martijn Dashorst
> <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> In my opinion  MECLIPSE-443 is a very bad idea. Should every plugin be
>> configured so that the resources available in src/main/java are
>> treated as classpath entries?
>
> It was my understanding that if you had resources in src/main/java
> that Maven would not package these.
> They must be in src/main/resources.

Unless you define src/main/java inside a <resources> element as I
already mentioned. This should be the canonical place for defining
such project descriptions, *NOT* in every frakking plugin that doesn't
want to read the pom.

> What is wrong with configuring your ide to behave how Maven behaves?
> This will stop you having moments where it works in Eclipse but Maven fails.

Because the plugin doesn't configure my IDE as maven behaves: see above...

>> According to me the eclipse plugin
>> should take the <resources> part of the pom into account, rather than
>> invent yet another way of specifying where resources live.
>
> The plugin takes it diirectly from the in memory copy of the pom via
> project.getBuild().getResources() as can be seen in the code below.
> It does not invent another way of specifying where resources live.

Then why doesn't it work? I don't care about how it is implemented in
Java code. Just either roll back 443, or implement it correctly.

>> This "fix" break so many existing builds and archetypes it is not fun
>> anymore. I for one don't like being the helpdesk for maven on the
>> Wicket user list.
>
> Can you be specific about what breaks?
> Which files, why they are in src/main/java and not somewhere else, etc.

With Wicket, we have Page.html, Page.properties, Page.properties_ru,
Page.js, Page.css, Page.younameit next to the Java files. This has
been the official way to work with Wicket, and was 100% supported by
maven by defining src/main/java as a resources element in our poms.
443 breaks this. And no, we don't take put them in src/main/resources
as an answer.

> For other edge cases 2.7 added
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MECLIPSE-104, which allows you to
> configure what files can be included/excluded from source directories.

I'd qualify thousands of Wicket users as hardly an edge case thank you
very much/

> Without specifics it is impossible to fix your complaint.

I've complained about this earlier in the maven-eclipse-plugin-2.6
thread, together with specifics.

I don't want to have to configure my resources with every plugin that
is going to be part of the build. That is not the Maven way. If the
compiler plugin can copy all my resources by reading the <resources>
part of my pom, why should the maven-eclipse-plugin behave any
different?

Martijn

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
<ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In my opinion  MECLIPSE-443 is a very bad idea. Should every plugin be
> configured so that the resources available in src/main/java are
> treated as classpath entries?

It was my understanding that if you had resources in src/main/java
that Maven would not package these.
They must be in src/main/resources.

What is wrong with configuring your ide to behave how Maven behaves?
This will stop you having moments where it works in Eclipse but Maven fails.

> According to me the eclipse plugin
> should take the <resources> part of the pom into account, rather than
> invent yet another way of specifying where resources live.

The plugin takes it diirectly from the in memory copy of the pom via
project.getBuild().getResources() as can be seen in the code below.
It does not invent another way of specifying where resources live.

>From EclipsePlugin.buildDirectoryList():
        extractResourceDirs( mainDirectories,
project.getBuild().getResources(), basedir, projectBaseDir, false,
                             mainOutput );

> This "fix" break so many existing builds and archetypes it is not fun
> anymore. I for one don't like being the helpdesk for maven on the
> Wicket user list.

Can you be specific about what breaks?
Which files, why they are in src/main/java and not somewhere else, etc.

We are aware that this has caused pain, especially for AJDT, which is
why 2.7 automatically includes *.aj on the source directories. See
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MECLIPSE-538

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ari,