Posted to log4j-cvs@jakarta.apache.org by Sallaram Madhu <sa...@mellon.com> on 2001/01/26 23:24:27 UTC

version change....

Hi All,

           We are using Log4j version 0.8.5 and java version 1.1.7.
Now we are installing java 1.2.  Will Log4j 0.8.5 support to Java 1.2 ?
Do i need to install latest version ? Please let me know.

  Thanx,
      -Madhu Sallaram

DISCLAIMER:   The information contained in this e-mail may be confidential
and is intended solely for the use of the named addressee.  Access, copying
or re-use of the e-mail or any information contained therein by any other
person is not authorized.  If you are not the intended recipient please
notify us immediately by returning the e-mail to the originator.

Re: version change....

Posted by Anders Kristensen <ak...@dynamicsoft.com>.

Sallaram Madhu wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>            We are using Log4j version 0.8.5 and java version 1.1.7.
> Now we are installing java 1.2.  Will Log4j 0.8.5 support to Java 1.2 ?

Works just fine.

> Do i need to install latest version ? Please let me know.

You don't need to but later versions contain many new and useful
functions.

>   Thanx,
>       -Madhu Sallaram

Anders Kristensen

Re: version change....

Posted by Anders Kristensen <ak...@dynamicsoft.com>.

Sallaram Madhu wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>            We are using Log4j version 0.8.5 and java version 1.1.7.
> Now we are installing java 1.2.  Will Log4j 0.8.5 support to Java 1.2 ?

Works just fine.

> Do i need to install latest version ? Please let me know.

You don't need to but later versions contain many new and useful
functions.

>   Thanx,
>       -Madhu Sallaram

Anders Kristensen

Re: version change....

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <cg...@urbanet.ch>.
Madhu,

As Anders Kristensen mentioned earlier, all existing versions of log4j are
compatible with JDK 1.1 or above, including JDK 1.2 and JDK 1.3.

It is recommended (but not necessary) that you upgrade to the latest
version of log4j. Newer versions are more feature rich. More importantly,
new versions fix any existing bugs in older versions. So even if you do not
use the newly introduced features, you are likely to gain by the bug fixes.
On the other hand, if you are happy with the existing log4j functionality,
there is no need to upgrade. Cheers, Ceki

ps: You can make a more educated decision on whether to upgrade or not, by
reading the HISTORY file: http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/doc/HISTORY

At 17:24 26.01.2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>            We are using Log4j version 0.8.5 and java version 1.1.7.
>Now we are installing java 1.2.  Will Log4j 0.8.5 support to Java 1.2 ?
>Do i need to install latest version ? Please let me know.
>
>   Thanx,
>       -Madhu Sallaram

----
Ceki Gülcü - Independent IT Consultant

av. de Rumine 5            Tel: ++41 21 351 23 15
CH-1005 Lausanne        e-mail: cgu@urbanet.ch  or
Switzerland                     ceki_gulcu@yahoo.com