Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/24 09:56:16 UTC

Avatar images on team list ?

I just hacked together a quick implementation using either
properties/picUrl or the gravatar.com avatar for the email address.

I did a one-off deploy to http://maven.apache.org/team-list.html so you can
look at the result (register your avatar at gravatar.com if you're not
there)

the picUrl element in the pom has precedence. There are a number of avatar
services that may be used, I implemented gravatar.com, which
I think is the most well established one.

I suppose we may need to add an option to the
 maven-project-info-reports-plugin to select provider and/or disable avatar
images, something
like displayImages=treu/false and maybe later an "image selection" strategy
if we ever support anything different from the picUrl + gravatar strategy ?

What do you think, do you "like" ?

Do we need an option to disable images ?

Kristian

Re: Avatar images on team list ?

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On 24 October 2012 18:39, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:

> First off, I like the idea. As others have said, it makes us more human
> :) Comments inline...
>
> On 2012-10-24 12:36, Kristian Rosenvold wrote:
> > r1401610, http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPIR-176
> >
> > Will release this plugin once I have added a spacer.
> >
> > Btw; some maven devs prefer not to have their email and hence no avatar,
> > even though they are registered on gravatar.
>
> Shouldn't every developer on an Apache project have his/her Apache email
> address in the POM?

yes but why let the bots know that it's just a case of adding
@apache.orgto the committer id ;-)

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: Avatar images on team list ?

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.
I like.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
2012/10/24 Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>:
> I just hacked together a quick implementation using either
> properties/picUrl or the gravatar.com avatar for the email address.
>
> I did a one-off deploy to http://maven.apache.org/team-list.html so you can
> look at the result (register your avatar at gravatar.com if you're not
> there)
>
> the picUrl element in the pom has precedence. There are a number of avatar
> services that may be used, I implemented gravatar.com, which
> I think is the most well established one.
>
> I suppose we may need to add an option to the
>  maven-project-info-reports-plugin to select provider and/or disable avatar
> images, something
> like displayImages=treu/false and maybe later an "image selection" strategy
> if we ever support anything different from the picUrl + gravatar strategy ?
>
> What do you think, do you "like" ?
Yeah that's nice !

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 6:26 PM, Kristian Rosenvold
<kr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just hacked together a quick implementation using either
> properties/picUrl or the gravatar.com avatar for the email address.
[del]

> What do you think, do you "like" ?

+1 like

Gravatar is good enough.

It was handy that you did this, I did not realize I hadn't filled in
all the necessary fields.
I had to track down the old "Welcome" emails to compare with
http://maven.apache.org/developers/welcome-to-new-committers.html and
update some docs :)

Re: Avatar images on team list ?

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
Cool!

/Anders

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 24/10/2012, at 6:56 PM, Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just hacked together a quick implementation using either
> properties/picUrl or the gravatar.com avatar for the email address.

Cool!

> I did a one-off deploy to http://maven.apache.org/team-list.html so you can
> look at the result (register your avatar at gravatar.com if you're not
> there)

Perhaps need to show a blank one (or at least set the row height) for the missing emails?

> the picUrl element in the pom has precedence. There are a number of avatar
> services that may be used, I implemented gravatar.com, which
> I think is the most well established one.

I guess opengraph would be another... but agree anyone interested in adding that can do so later. I don't tend to link my facebook activity to open source or work :)

- Brett