Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Kelly, Frank" <fr...@here.com> on 2015/12/09 16:13:47 UTC

Solr Heap memory vs. OS memory

Hi Folks,

 I was wondering if this link I found recommended by Erick is still accurate (for Solr 5.3.1)

"For configuring your Java VM, you should rethink your memory requirements: Give only the really needed amount of heap space and leave as much as possible to the O/S. As a rule of thumb: Don't use more than 1Z4 of your physical memory as heap space for Java running Lucene/Solr, keep the remaining memory free for the operating system cache."

http://blog.thetaphi.de/2012/07/use-lucenes-mmapdirectory-on-64bit.html

So I am using several CentOS Vms (on AWS) with 8GB RAM I so should plan for < 2GB for -Xms and -Xmx?
Our scaling plan - being on AWS - is to scale out (adding more Vms - not adding more memory).

Thanks!

-Frank