Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Barth (John) Jones" <mu...@alltel.net> on 2004/06/02 18:49:09 UTC

[users@httpd] windows config

Hello.  I've installed Apache2Triad on my XP Pro PC and I'm trying to figure out how to configure the httpd.config file.  I just need Apache to let me test programs from my PC (I don't really need to provide any services for web users at this point).

For example, the second directive (ScoreBoardFile logs/apache_runtime_status) is behind a # sign.  Do I need this in my configuration or should I leave it as is?

The file that the third directive (PidFile logs/http.pid) points to isn't even at that location.  Do I need to do something about it?

I've never really configured anything except via a GUI, so I'm clueless of what to do.  I have a very basic understanding of programming.  Jargon usually confuses me.  Used moderately I can get through it if you don't mind my asking for clarification.

Thanks!

Re: [users@httpd] windows config

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
Barth (John) Jones wrote:
> Thanks Chris.  I ran the server from Windows/DOS and it seems to run
> because I get a cursor/prompt without an error message.  But I can't use
> the prompt (is it supposed to be used?).

Ehm, no. Except parhaps to feed it a ^C (ctrl-C) when you want it to exit.

It is preferable to run Apache as a service. If you don't have it installed
as such, you can run "apache -k install". Then start/stop the service with
"net start/stop apache2" or through the service manager interface or through
Apache Service Monitor (if you have it installed, otherwise in Apache's bin/
directory).

> And when I type http://localhost/ or http://127.0.0.1/ in my browser
> (InetExpl.), it fails to direct me to the server.

What error message do you get?

Then, go look in Apache's access and error logs and see if you can find some
hints as to way it doesn' work. The logs are located in Apache's logs/
directory.

I recommend you go through the configuration file, and get a grasp of it. A
few things such as ServerName and Listen might need modification.

Regards,
Robert Andersson

Re: [users@httpd] windows config

Posted by "Barth (John) Jones" <mu...@alltel.net>.
Thanks Chris.  I ran the server from Windows/DOS and it seems to run because
I get a cursor/prompt without an error message.  But I can't use the prompt
(is it supposed to be used?).  And when I type http://localhost/ or
http://127.0.0.1/ in my browser (InetExpl.), it fails to direct me to the
server.  Excuse me.  This is all new to me.

Thanks,

Barth

Posted by Chris <li...@leftbrained.org>.