Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com> on 2017/06/05 14:41:08 UTC

Compiler targets and Java 9

Hi,

thanks to Rob Rompkins, and his recent work on Fileupload, it came to
my attention that Java 9 will no longer support JVM 1.5, and lower, as
a compiler target. [1]

This means, that we will be preventing our developers from using Java
9, if a component is still below 1.6. (And, I'd expect that to be the
case for quite some projects.)

Now, leaving the general discussions regarding Java 9, and (in
particular) Jigsaw, aside, I think that is something that we ought to
consider.

OTOH, it seems reasonable to expect that Java 9 adoption will be slow,
given that it isn't upwards compatible.

So, as a  compromise, I propose that we adopt the following policy:

All commons proper components are expected within one year from now on
to bump their compiler target to 1.6, or beyond, and have a release
published with that target. That way, we know, that it works fine with
the Java 9 compiler.

Jochen

1: http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/182

Re: [LOGGING] Logging and Java 9 (Was: Re: Compiler targets and Java 9)

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
The latest discussions I read indicated that adding the automatic module entry to the manifest is NOT recommended unless the component is ready to be modularized except that it has downstream dependencies that are not modules.

Ralph

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@bpm-inspire.com>.
Hi Benedict,

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hi,

(Moving this to a new topic, since it may cause a lengthy discussion :o))

> Am 05.06.2017 um 16:41 schrieb Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>:
>
> Hi,
>
> thanks to Rob Rompkins, and his recent work on Fileupload, it came to
> my attention that Java 9 will no longer support JVM 1.5, and lower, as
> a compiler target. [1]
>
> This means, that we will be preventing our developers from using Java
> 9, if a component is still below 1.6. (And, I'd expect that to be the
> case for quite some projects.)
>
> Now, leaving the general discussions regarding Java 9, and (in
> particular) Jigsaw, aside, I think that is something that we ought to
> consider.
>
> OTOH, it seems reasonable to expect that Java 9 adoption will be slow,
> given that it isn't upwards compatible.
>
> So, as a  compromise, I propose that we adopt the following policy:
>
> All commons proper components are expected within one year from now on
> to bump their compiler target to 1.6, or beyond, and have a release
> published with that target. That way, we know, that it works fine with
> the Java 9 compiler.

What about Logging? Logging is at Java 1.3 at the moment and we decided, that we don’t want to touch that component since it is so widely spread. I think our advice last time was to refer new users to use Log4j.

Do we apply the proposed policy to Logging nevertheless?

Benedikt

Posted by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>.
I don't think Java 9's capabilities are relevant for the project target. We compile for 1.x with the help of %JAVA_1_x_HOME% or toolchains (via -Pjava1.x profile), but  not with -target parameter. It's easier this way as you don't have to worry about the bootclasspath of the compiler. This is true for 1.6 projects compiled with 1.8 maven-Java today.

So while it is good to review prerequisite minimum versions regularly Java 9 seems not a immediate motivation.

Gruss
Bernd
--
http://bernd.eckenfels.net
________________________________
> thanks to Rob Rompkins, and his recent work on Fileupload, it came to
> my attention that Java 9 will no longer support JVM 1.5, and lower, as
> a compiler target. [1]
>
> This means, that we will be preventing our developers from using Java
> 9, if a component is still below 1.6. (And, I'd expect that to be the
> case for quite some projects.)
>
> Now, leaving the general discussions regarding Java 9, and (in
> particular) Jigsaw, aside, I think that is something that we ought to
> consider.
>
> OTOH, it seems reasonable to expect that Java 9 adoption will be slow,
> given that it isn't upwards compatible.
>
> So, as a  compromise, I propose that we adopt the following policy:
>
> All commons proper components are expected within one year from now on
> to bump their compiler target to 1.6, or beyond, and have a release
> published with that target. That way, we know, that it works fine with
> the Java 9 compiler.

+1

Benedikt

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
> Am 05.06.2017 um 16:41 schrieb Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>:
>
> Hi,
>
> thanks to Rob Rompkins, and his recent work on Fileupload, it came to
> my attention that Java 9 will no longer support JVM 1.5, and lower, as
> a compiler target. [1]
>
> This means, that we will be preventing our developers from using Java
> 9, if a component is still below 1.6. (And, I'd expect that to be the
> case for quite some projects.)
>
> Now, leaving the general discussions regarding Java 9, and (in
> particular) Jigsaw, aside, I think that is something that we ought to
> consider.
>
> OTOH, it seems reasonable to expect that Java 9 adoption will be slow,
> given that it isn't upwards compatible.
>
> So, as a  compromise, I propose that we adopt the following policy:
>
> All commons proper components are expected within one year from now on
> to bump their compiler target to 1.6, or beyond, and have a release
> published with that target. That way, we know, that it works fine with
> the Java 9 compiler.

+1

Benedikt

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
I'm confused about one thing here. Sure, you can't use javac in 9 to
compile for 5, but can't java in 9 still run class files compiled against
5? If you couldn't run older java classes anymore, then I don't know why
Oracle continues to maintain backward compatibility in places that are
annoying.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Compiler targets and Java 9

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 2:56 PM, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>
wrote:

> > On Jun 5, 2017, at 1:35 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 5 June 2017 at 21:06, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com
> <ma...@dslextreme.com>> wrote:
> >> OK. Who cares if their last release was Java 1.5? They will never
> release another version that supports it.
> >
> > Not sure who you mean by 'they' here.
>
> They is any component whose latest release is on Java 1.5.
>

> > This thread is about Commons components whose latest release is 1.5 or
> > earlier, and what to do about it now that Java 9+ no longer supports
> > 1.5 as a compiler option.
>
> The answer is clear. There is no problem using a component compiled for
> Java 5, so this discussion is only about performing new releases of things.
> Any component that has a latest release based on Java 5 will continue to
> lay dormant until someone wants to do a new release of it. If and when that
> happens the next release will use Java 6 or hopefully, Java 7 (since Java 6
> has already reached end-of-life as well but has about another year before
> full end of support). There is no point in doing security fixes for
> anything based on Java 5 (or 6 in my opinion).
>
> This discussion about Java 9 is just a red herring as it is forcing you to
> have a discussion you really shouldn’t need to have. This upgrade should
> have been forced eons ago.

+1

Gary

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
> On Jun 5, 2017, at 2:58 PM, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 5, 2017, at 1:00 PM, Amey Jadiye <am...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> correct, moving to Java9 might be restricting 1.5 to run on higher
>> versions, that said they may not run on java 9 so all this discussion came
>> in picture, I wish we can have java 9 target well at the same time we
>> should detach our self from java 1.5, just a view.
>>
>> Regards,
>
> Java 5 artifacts should run just fine on Java 9 - with the exception that if they are using restricted classes they will fail.  That is really the only Java 9 issue to be concerned with, and is why it is going to take quite a bit of time for it to become mainstream.

And it seems my worry over those issues may have just been mitigated - http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jigsaw-dev/2017-June/012841.html <http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jigsaw-dev/2017-June/012841.html>.

Ralph

Re: Compiler targets and Java 9

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Amey Jadiye <am...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Amey Jadiye <am...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
This whole discussion has me really confused.  According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_version_history <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_version_history> the free version of Java 5 reached end-of-life in 2009 and Oracle's supported version reached end-of-life in 2015. https://developer.ibm.com/javasdk/support/lifecycle/ <https://developer.ibm.com/javasdk/support/lifecycle/> doesn’t even show Java 5 any more but https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=77777777-0000-0000-0000-000014807464 <https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=77777777-0000-0000-0000-000014807464> indicates that it also was dropped in 2015.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 5 June 2017 at 17:17, Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 5:20 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I'd like us to be able to push out a new release with minimal changes
>>> at any given time. If we have, for example, 1.6 as the target, and the
>>> previous
>>> release had 1.5 as the target, then we'd loose that ability, IMO.
>>> (Think security releases.We've had quite a few in the past.)
>>
>> Understood, but I'm not sure why you feel the lack of a 1.6 release
>> would prevent a security release.
>> Surely we could just apply the fixes to the previously released code
>> and change to 1.6 at the same time?
>
> Because the result clearly be binary incompatible to its predecessor,
> and that's the whole point of such an emergency release. We'd want a
> drop-in replacement.

It would not be a drop-in replacement for systems running Java 1.5,
but surely it would be compatible for those running 1.6?
If they are still running 1.5, the release would be no use anyway.

I agree that we should ideally release 1.6 to make it quicker to
release an emergency fix (and to help those stuck with 1.9+).
I'm just trying to understand your reasoning.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 5 June 2017 at 15:54, Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 4:50 PM, Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> +1 for using 1.6 as the baseline, but I don't see the need to publish
>> new releases with that target if nothing else changed.

+1 for 1.6

If we don't release, then we can only change the pom in trunk.
We should not encourage ordinary users to build from trunk.
Which would mean that the software would not be buildable using Java 9.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Le 5/06/2017 à 16:41, Jochen Wiedmann a écrit :

> All commons proper components are expected within one year from now on
> to bump their compiler target to 1.6, or beyond, and have a release
> published with that target. That way, we know, that it works fine with
> the Java 9 compiler.

+1 for using 1.6 as the baseline, but I don't see the need to publish
new releases with that target if nothing else changed.

Emmanuel Bourg