Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Henri Yandell <he...@yandell.org> on 2014/05/10 19:57:25 UTC

Re: Using content from StackOverflow

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 10:30 AM, Mohammad Noureldin <
nour.mohammad@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
>    From what I read in this discussion I believe what Henri suggested is a
> good idea
>
> I don't think it has anything to do with using SO for users support or in
> place of users mailing list or not at the end you can look at it from this
> abstract PoV:
> There is some content that has been posted on SO regarding one of the
> Apache projects, this content might have been posted by one of that
> projects commiters or others who might be active on SO when it comes to
> answering questions/solving issues related to that project
> What happens if the one of the commiters want to use that content back in
> the project ?
> The answer is provided in Henri's suggestion and it is like any other
> content that the commiters may like to copy paste in their project, they
> need to make sure of the licensing, or ask if they don't know, and then the
> answer that Henri provided will give some help
>
> I would actually take this question to its general case and pointing to SO
> as an example

Do you have proposed text for a general case?

Hen

Re: Using content from StackOverflow

Posted by Mohammad Noureldin <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi

   Any feedback would be appreciated. If what I explained doesn't make any
sense please update/correct so others and I can learn please.

Looking forward to your reply

Posted by Mohammad Noureldin <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi David

<no...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi David
>
>    Thanks for your review. I see my mistake indeed, but are you referring
> only to the reference or the whole explanation in the draft ?
>
> Looking forward to your reply
>
> On May 13, 2014 6:52 AM, "David Crossley" <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Mohammad Noureldin wrote:
>> > Hi
>> >
>> >    Here is my draft:
>> >
>> > "Qn: Can an Apache project use content from non ASF sources (forums,
>> > mailing lists, etc...)?"
>> >
>> > "Ans: It totally depends on the source from which the content will be
>> > taken. If the content is taken from sources (forums, mailing lists,
>> > blogs, online books, general websites, etc...) is under a license that
>> > is not compliant with the Apache License, in that case you need to get
>> > clearance about that from the owners of that content, that is make
>> > sure that they are willing to give you the content under the Apache
>> > License or one of the "Category A: Authorized Licenses" (the quoted
>> > text should appear as a link to:
>> > https://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html).
>>
>> That reference is incorrect.
>> Please see the statement at the top of that page.
>>
>> If you know of any place that still refers to that
>> misleading information, then please add an Issue
>> so that it can be rectified.
>>
>> Please read the proper reference carefully, and in conjunction
>> with the Individual Contributor License Agreement (ICLA).
>>
>> -David
>>
>> > It is highly important to get this clearance recorded as an evidence
>> > pereferrably via e-mail.
>> >
>> > Example:  Can I take content from StackOverflow ? By default the
>> > answer is No, as the content published on StackOverflow (and
>> > associated sites) is under the "CC-SA license" with attribution
>> > required (the quoted text should appear as a link to the license:
>> > http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/), including any code.
>> > This is a strong copyleft license and as such unlikely to be in
>> > "Category A: Authorized Licenses". In this case you need the clearance
>> > as explained above.
>> > "
>> >
>> > Wdyt ?
>> >
>> > Notes: The links notes are intended to show as links on ASF website

>> > --
>> > Thanks
>> > - Mohammad Noureldin
>> > ----
>> > "Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep
>> > moving"
>> > - Albert Einstein

Thanks
- Mohammad Noureldin
----
- Albert Einstein

Re: Using content from StackOverflow

Posted by Mohammad Noureldin <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi David

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mohammad Noureldin <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alex

   Thanks for reviewing my draft. I know it might look vague, but
thats the purpose of the draft, trying to make it as generic as
possible and together we try to get to better writing to make it
understandable

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 6:56 AM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
> What is the definition of "content"?  For example, I'm not a Java expert
> but have been doing Java code recently.  If I don't know how to do
> something like sort an ArrayList I google it and end up at blogs and
> forums where I'll find the one or two lines I'm looking for.  Do I have to
> be careful about the publication license for this sort of content?  It
> might help to have that defined in this policy.

The definition of "content" includes both code and documentation.
Please read my next reply to @Andrea for more details on the same
concern and more.

> Thanks,
> -Alex
>
> On 5/11/14 3:29 PM, "Mohammad Noureldin" <no...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>   Here is my draft:
>>
>>"Qn: Can an Apache project use content from non ASF sources (forums,
>>mailing lists, etc...)?"
>>
>>"Ans: It totally depends on the source from which the content will be
>>taken. If the content is taken from sources (forums, mailing lists,
>>blogs, online books, general websites, etc...) is under a license that
>>is not compliant with the Apache License, in that case you need to get
>>clearance about that from the owners of that content, that is make
>>sure that they are willing to give you the content under the Apache
>>License or one of the "Category A: Authorized Licenses" (the quoted
>>text should appear as a link to:
>>https://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html).
>>It is highly important to get this clearance recorded as an evidence
>>pereferrably via e-mail.
>>
>>Example:  Can I take content from StackOverflow ? By default the
>>answer is No, as the content published on StackOverflow (and
>>associated sites) is under the "CC-SA license" with attribution
>>required (the quoted text should appear as a link to the license:
>>http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/), including any code.
>>This is a strong copyleft license and as such unlikely to be in
>>"Category A: Authorized Licenses". In this case you need the clearance
>>as explained above.
>>"
>>
>>Wdyt ?
>>
>>Notes: The links notes are intended to show as links on ASF website
>>
>>On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 10:36 AM, Mohammad Noureldin
>><no...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Henri
>>>
>>>    Will draft one today and send it as a reply here

>>--
>>Thanks
>>- Mohammad Noureldin
>>----
>>"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving"
>>- Albert Einstein

Thanks
- Mohammad Noureldin
----
- Albert Einstein

Re: Using content from StackOverflow

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Mohammad Noureldin <no...@gmail.com>.
I know that the mailing list services had problems, but it is solved by now

So I am still looking forward any feedback

Posted by Mohammad Noureldin <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andrea

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mohammad Noureldin <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andrea

   Thanks for reviewing my draft, please read my reply inline...

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 8:59 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
> Mohammad Noureldin wrote:
>>
>> "Qn: Can an Apache project use content from non ASF sources (forums,
>> mailing lists, etc...)?"
>

> Both "use" and "content" are quite vague. OpenOffice, for example, still
> hosts on the site and wiki old documentation that is not under ALv2. We
> don't include it releases, of course, and I believe this is the key
> difference (and this is probably the reason why this thread initially
> focused on "code" rather than generically "content").

Under which license that documentation is ? If you look at [0], you
will see at the footer "Copyright © 2011-2012 The Apache Software
Foundation Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0" that means
that the content is under that indicated license even if you don't
include it in releases

True the initial intention by Henri was more focused on the usage of
code in an ASF project, but we are trying to take the chance to
address the question in a general way, which is:
"Taking content, whether code and/or documentation, and incorporate it
in an ASF project, whether this content will be included in releases
or hosted on any of the ASF servers, as part of the web site for
example"

Allow me to add more details on what I was trying to address when I
wrote that draft:
1- Address any type of content (code, documentation, etc...). Code is
not the only thing that can be copy pasted from other locations. Code
is not the only content that is licensed.

ex 1.1: If a question has been asked on SO about one of the ASF
projects and there was a really good answer to it, is it OK for a
committer to copy paste the question and answer and add it to the FAQ
section of the website of that project ? (notice here that the
contents of the ASF project's website are not included in the release,
but the content is licensed under the Apache License while the content
that was copy pasted is not, on the contrary it is under a license
that is not compatible with the Apache License)

ex 1.2: Imagine the same scenario as in 1.1 but instead of copy
pasting it to the web site the committer/user copy pasted the answer
to the mailing list as a reply to the same/similar question on the
dev@ or users@. Is that OK ? in this case I am not really sure
(someone corrects me if I am wrong please), but I would say No, as the
contents of these mailing lists are publicly available and anything
contributed to these mailing lists is assumed to be owned by the ASF
and under the Apache License

2- Address the different destinations of this content when it comes to
make it available via any of the ASF related channels, like mailing
lists, code repositories (whether for code or documentation) and ASF
hosted web sites

3- And for sure addressing the obvious case in which someone commits,
whether directly or via a patch, content to one of the ASF projects

Maybe I widened the scope more than we want ? Maybe, but I want to
address it in a way that is not related to a certain source of content
or certain license, otherwise we will end adding a different Q&A for
each of these sources

Would someone please comment on my reply so I update my draft accordingly ?

Looking forward to your feedback

[0] http://openoffice.apache.org/

> Regards,
>   Andrea.