Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org> on 2023/02/03 08:43:59 UTC

[VOTE] Delete GitHub repo "uima-as_old" which seems to be an outdated duplicate

Hi all,

it seems we have a duplicate repo on GitHub.

UIMA-AS (retired) lives in https://github.com/apache/uima-async-scaleout

But we also have https://github.com/apache/uima-as_old

As far as I can tell, uima-as_old is an outdated version of the uima-async-scaleout
and I have asked INFRA to archive/delete it.

They chose to archive it publicly.

So I asked to mark it as private to avoid confusions with the other repository.

Then they suggested we could delete it after all.

To one and for all confirm that uima-as_old can be deleted without harm, I am calling
a vote.

[ ] +1 - irrevocably delete https://github.com/apache/uima-as_old
[ ] 0  - don't care
[ ] -1 - do not delete because ...

I would recommend you compare uima-as_old against uima-async-scaleout yourself
before voting.

Best regards,

-- Richard

Re: [VOTE] Delete GitHub repo "uima-as_old" which seems to be an outdated duplicate

Posted by Viorel Morari <vi...@averbis.com.INVALID>.
 [x] +1 - irrevocably delete https://github.com/apache/uima-as_old

Best,
Viorel

[RESULT][VOTE] Delete GitHub repo "uima-as_old" which seems to be an outdated duplicate

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
Voted to delete https://github.com/apache/uima-as_old passes with three +1 votes:

+1 Peter Klügl
+1 Richard Eckart de Castilho
+1 Viorel Morari

No other votes received.

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
From my perspective, what happened here was that we had a read-only mirror of the SVN repo
and then somebody additionally performed a manual svn-to-git migration to a writable repo.

Looking at the oldest and recent history, one can see that the commits in the two repos
mirror each other - but with different commit IDs. The reason for this is most likely
that the author information in the repositories differs. One has proper email addresses
and names while the other has only svn usernames. Unfortunately, it seems to be the
"uima-as_old" that has the proper names...

The histories run in parallel until commits

  c6fc777093d5b24e04f436c29785957375f267f6 15. January 2020 at 20:19:36 CET
  c6faa8b6fd8b4dd914e0fa6ded4ce330462f7236 15. January 2020 at 20:19:36 CET

After those, commits continue only in the uima-async-scaleout repo.

So much for my analysis.

On the bottom line:

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com.INVALID>.
[x] +1 - irrevocably deletehttps://github.com/apache/uima-as_old