Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Andrew Golightly <A....@dcs.shef.ac.uk> on 2006/07/03 18:36:35 UTC

huge disk space usage?

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to find out if anyone has had a similar issue.

On running one of our lenya servers for a while, the disk space of that
instance (using du -hs) was 35Gb! On restarting the server, total disk
space was about 620Mb.

We are using lenya rev 409384. Anyone have any idea why this would happen?

Unfortunately on restarting the server, I cannot trawl through the
directory to find out what is taking up all the disk space as that data
is now gone.

TIA,
Andrew

Re: huge disk space usage?

Posted by Andrew Golightly <A....@dcs.shef.ac.uk>.

Jann Forrer wrote:
> Andrew Golightly wrote:
>>

>> Jann Forrer wrote:

>>> Do you use lenya 1.4?
>> yes
>>> As far as i know logging level is set to debug by default in 1.4
>>> (see log4j.xconf in your WEB-INF directory). Therefore the log-File
>>> might grow fast.
>> Looks like you're right Jann. In
>> externals/cocoon_2_1_x/src/webapp/WEB-INF/log4j.xconf there is come
>> xhtml that looks like this:
>>    <root>
>>      <priority value ="debug" />
>>      <appender-ref ref="COCOON_DEFAULT" />
>>    </root>
>>
>> Is this what I'm looking for? So what should I change the value of
>> the parameter 'value' to, to make it log a more sensible amount of data?
>>

> That depends on you. During development it is ok to set it to debug
> but as Thomas said for a productive system you should set it to errror
> or warning.
> BTW set the log level to debug has a huge impact on performance.
Ok thanks. Duly noted. I've set it to warning for now, and will see how
we go. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Andrew

Re: huge disk space usage?

Posted by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.unizh.ch>.
Andrew Golightly wrote:

> Jann Forrer wrote:
>> Andrew Golightly wrote:

>>> Yeah. I just checked this directory, and it's like 16K. So looks like
>>> the problem isn't there. Looks like it may be the log files. I'm
>>> going to monitor their growth.
>>>

>> Do you use lenya 1.4?
> yes
>> As far as i know logging level is set to debug by default in 1.4 (see
>> log4j.xconf in your WEB-INF directory). Therefore the log-File might
>> grow fast.
> Looks like you're right Jann. In
> externals/cocoon_2_1_x/src/webapp/WEB-INF/log4j.xconf there is come
> xhtml that looks like this:
>    <root>
>      <priority value ="debug" />
>      <appender-ref ref="COCOON_DEFAULT" />
>    </root>
>
> Is this what I'm looking for? So what should I change the value of the
> parameter 'value' to, to make it log a more sensible amount of data?

That depends on you. During development it is ok to set it to debug but
as Thomas said for a productive system you should set it to errror or
warning.
BTW set the log level to debug has a huge impact on performance.

Jann

Re: huge disk space usage?

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Hamish Cunningham wrote:

>Perhaps the default should be changed in view of the upcoming 1.4 release?

I think no just for the release, but also as it is now, because
devs who really want to debug Lenya in a meaningful way need to adjust
it anyway (e.g. enable debug for specific classes).

For instance I  am using the following log4j.xconf which might be
helpful to some:

<log4j:configuration xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/">

    <!-- This is a sample configuration for log4j.
         It simply just logs everything into a single
         log file.
         Note, that you can use properties for value substitution.
    -->
    <appender class="org.apache.log4j.FileAppender" name="COCOON_DEFAULT">
        <param name="File" value="${context-root}/WEB-INF/logs/log4j.log"/>
        <param name="Append" value="false"/>
            <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%-4r %d [%t] %-5p
%c.%M():%L %x - %m%n"/>
        </layout>
    </appender>

    <!--+
        | See http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/chainsaw.html
        +-->
    <appender class="org.apache.log4j.net.SocketAppender" name="Chainsaw">
        <param name="remoteHost" value="localhost"/>
        <param name="port" value="4445"/>
        <param name="locationInfo" value="true"/>
    </appender>

    <category
name="org.apache.cocoon.components.search.components.impl.IndexManagerImpl"
additivity="false">
      <priority value="DEBUG"/>
      <appender-ref ref="COCOON_DEFAULT" />
    </category>

    <category name="org.apache.lenya.cms.lucene.IndexDocument"
additivity="false">
      <priority value="DEBUG"/>
      <appender-ref ref="COCOON_DEFAULT" />
    </category>

    <logger name="org.mortbay.http.ContextLoader">
        <level value="warn"/>
    </logger>

    <root>
      <priority value="warn"/>
      <appender-ref ref="COCOON_DEFAULT"/>

      <!--+
          | Uncomment to enable logging to Chainsaw.
          | See http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/chainsaw.html
          +-->
      <!--
      <appender-ref ref="Chainsaw" />
        -->

    </root>
</log4j:configuration>

HTH

Michi

--
Michael Wechner
+41 44 272 91 61

Re: huge disk space usage?

Posted by Hamish Cunningham <ha...@dcs.shef.ac.uk>.
Perhaps the default should be changed in view of the upcoming 1.4 release?

Hamish

Re: huge disk space usage?

Posted by Comiotto Thomas <th...@unicom.unizh.ch>.
'error' or 'warning'.

Re: huge disk space usage?

Posted by Andrew Golightly <A....@dcs.shef.ac.uk>.

Re: huge disk space usage?

Posted by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.unizh.ch>.
Andrew Golightly wrote:

> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>> Andrew Golightly wrote:
>>> But I'm guessing that wouldn't be our problem since
>>> web.app.server=Jetty
>>>
>>> and not Tomcat
>>>
>>> Right?
>>
>> I don't think that this is a servlet container issue.
>> With jetty, the location of the cache files is different
>> (something like /tmp/Jetty_8888/... IIRC).
> Yeah. I just checked this directory, and it's like 16K. So looks like
> the problem isn't there. Looks like it may be the log files. I'm going
> to monitor their growth.

Do you use lenya 1.4? As far as i know logging level is set to debug by

Re: huge disk space usage?

Posted by Andrew Golightly <A....@dcs.shef.ac.uk>.

Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Andrew Golightly wrote:
>> But I'm guessing that wouldn't be our problem since
>> web.app.server=Jetty
>>
>> and not Tomcat
>>
>> Right?
>
> I don't think that this is a servlet container issue.
> With jetty, the location of the cache files is different
> (something like /tmp/Jetty_8888/... IIRC).
Yeah. I just checked this directory, and it's like 16K. So looks like
the problem isn't there. Looks like it may be the log files. I'm going
to monitor their growth.

thanks,
Andrew

Re: huge disk space usage?

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Andrew Golightly wrote:
> But I'm guessing that wouldn't be our problem since
> web.app.server=Jetty
>
> and not Tomcat
>
> Right?

I don't think that this is a servlet container issue.
With jetty, the location of the cache files is different
(something like /tmp/Jetty_8888/... IIRC).

-- Andreas

> thanks for the input,
> Andrew
>
> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>> Comiotto Thomas wrote:
>>> Might have been the log files..
>>
>> IIRC we had an issue where the Cocoon cache (in the Tomcat work
>> directory)
>> grew to several gigabytes.
>>
>> -- Andreas
>>

>>> --
>>> Thomas

Andreas Hartmann
andreas.hartmann@wyona.com                     andreas@apache.org

Re: huge disk space usage?

Posted by Andrew Golightly <A....@dcs.shef.ac.uk>.

Re: huge disk space usage?

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Re: huge disk space usage?

Posted by Andrew Golightly <A....@dcs.shef.ac.uk>.
thanks. I'll keep an eye out for them in build/lenya/webapp/WEB-INF/logs

There's a file in there called log4j.log that is at 17Mb so will watch
it's progress.

thanks for your input,
Andrew

Re: huge disk space usage?