Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> on 2011/11/01 10:22:02 UTC

[PROPOSAL][RFC] Fediz for the Apache Incubator

Hi,

I would like to propose Fediz to be an Apache Incubator project.

Fediz is an implementation of OASIS WS-Federation for Web SSO. The core
concept is to externalize the authentication process to a centralized
authentication server (called Identity Provider (IDP)) which can support
any kind of authentication mechanism. The IDP issues a security token
like SAML which contains the authenticated entity as well as role
information and/or other claim data of a user like name, email, others
which is sent to the application (called Relying Party (RP)).

Here's a link to the proposal on the wiki
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/FedizProposal

I've also included the initial contents below.

As said in the subject (RFC), so any comments and new mentors are welcome

Thanks
Regards
JB
--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [PROPOSAL][RFC] Fediz for the Apache Incubator

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Nick,

sorry for my late answer, I was busy with the ApacheCon presentation.

The current Fediz codebase doesn't support OID/OAuth. Of course, it
could be interested to support it, by implementing it or by leveraging
existing implementations.

Some pointer about OID/OAuth:
- OID/OAuth doesn't support claims based authorization.
- OID/OAuth doesn't address end-to-end security where identities can be
propagated from a SSO enabled web application to the web services.

WS-Federation is supported by Identity Providers like OpenAM, IBM
Tivoli, Microsoft ADFS, Oracle but there is no support for it in Tomcat,
Karaf, or JBoss for instance.

I hope it answers to your question.

Regards
JB

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Looks interesting! kind of OpenID + OAuth?
Many thanks in advance, all the best!
Simo

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
http://www.99soft.org/

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 3:40 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> wrote:
> Hi Simone,
>
> OpenID is another protocol mainly for authentication...
>
> WS-federation addresses authentication and claims based authorization.
>
> Regards
> JB
>
> On 11/02/2011 10:56 AM, Simone Tripodi wrote:
>>
>> Salut Jean-Baptiste!
>> sorry for my lack of knowledge, but it reminds me the OpenID protocol
>> - looks like it uses the same terminology as well.
>> How Fediz it is related to the OpenID specification?
>> Many thanks in advance, all the best,
>> Simo

>> http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
>> http://www.99soft.org/
>>

>> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 10:22 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré<jb...@nanthrax.net>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I would like to propose Fediz to be an Apache Incubator project.
>>>
>>> Fediz is an implementation of OASIS WS-Federation for Web SSO. The core
>>> concept is to externalize the authentication process to a centralized
>>> authentication server (called Identity Provider (IDP)) which can support
>>> any
>>> kind of authentication mechanism. The IDP issues a security token like
>>> SAML
>>> which contains the authenticated entity as well as role information
>>> and/or
>>> other claim data of a user like name, email, others which is sent to the
>>> application (called Relying Party (RP)).
>>>
>>> Here's a link to the proposal on the wiki
>>> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/FedizProposal
>>>
>>> I've also included the initial contents below.
>>>
>>> As said in the subject (RFC), so any comments and new mentors are welcome
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Regards

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Simone,

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Salut Jean-Baptiste!

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
ROFL

Sorry I was checking my old e-mails and I didn't notice the date :D

what a dump reply did I send :D

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 1:20 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>wrote:

> Hi Mohammad,
>
> the proposal has been retired as Fediz is now a subproject of Apache CXF.
>
> Thanks anyway for your proposal !
>
> Regards
> JB
>

> On 07/03/2012 12:37 PM, Mohammad Nour El-Din wrote:
>
>> Hi Jean...
>>
>>     I added myself, lets go for a [VOTE] :)
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb@nanthrax.net
>> >wrote:
>>
>>  Hi all,
>>>
>>> To be able to start a formal vote, we need an additional mentor.
>>>
>>> Is someone interested ?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Regards
>>> JB
>>>

>>> On 11/11/2011 11:49 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:
>>>
>>>  Thanks for the update Marcel, and sorry for the late answer.

>>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>>> jbonofre@apache.org
>>> http://blog.nanthrax.net
>>> Talend - http://www.talend.com

>>> For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.****org<
>>> general-help@incubator.**apache.org <ge...@incubator.apache.org>>
>>>

> --
> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> jbonofre@apache.org
> http://blog.nanthrax.net
> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour
----
- Albert Einstein

Re: [PROPOSAL][RFC] Fediz for the Apache Incubator

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Mohammad,

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jean...

   I added myself, lets go for a [VOTE] :)

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> To be able to start a formal vote, we need an additional mentor.
>
> Is someone interested ?
>
> Thanks,
> Regards
> JB
>

> On 11/11/2011 11:49 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the update Marcel, and sorry for the late answer.
>>
>> I updated the Fediz proposal with your comment.
>>
>> Thanks again,
>> Regards
>> JB
>>
>> On 11/03/2011 12:40 PM, Marcel Offermans wrote:
>>
>>> On Nov 1, 2011, at 10:22 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:
>>>
>>>  http://wiki.apache.org/**incubator/FedizProposal<http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/FedizProposal>
>>>>

>>> Definitely an interesting proposal! Just a comment on the affiliations
>>> section: isn't it true that both Olivier Lamy and Colm O'hEigeartaigh
>>> are also working for Talend? Of course part of the incubation process
>>> will be to attract other developers, I just think it's fair to list
>>> affiliations for all initial committers.
>>>
>>> Greetings, Marcel

> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> jbonofre@apache.org
> http://blog.nanthrax.net
> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour
----
- Albert Einstein

Re: [PROPOSAL][RFC] Fediz for the Apache Incubator

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi all,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.