Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by "Farr, Aaron" <Aa...@am.sony.com> on 2004/03/05 17:32:16 UTC

[avalon] State of Consensus

Hello.

Okay, we've had almost 150 emails in the three or four days relating to
Avalon's future.  That's a lot for anyone to follow.  So this email is an
attempt to sum things up and see where the next step is.  Here are some
highlights in no particular order:

  * Leo Simons has left the dev@ list.  Not sure if he'll be back.

  * Berin is going to start a lightweight container based on Java 1.5 over
    at d-haven.org.  Not sure what his plans on with respect to Avalon

  * We all wear different hats.

  * Beginnings of a serious look at what it would take to migrate Cocoon
    over to something like Merlin instead of Fortress

  * Short discussion / overview of the Avalon logging situation.  I believe
    hopes are high this will be easily solved.

  * Some discussion about the meta-model again.  This seems to be one of the
    most contentious implementation issues.

  * Sort discussion about the avalon-repository package and its relation to
    the merlin kernel.  Desire was expressed to have a more clean
separation.
    Looks like this could be possible, or at least the repo package could be
    enhanced.

  * Discussion of 'aspects/appliances'.  We don't have a good word for it
    yet, but basically all the parts that make up the container --
    activation, composition, repository, facilities.  Several are interested
    in seeing these parts become more independent and the kernel more
    flexible in how they are assembled.

  * Short poll by Niclas on nature of components.  Looks like he
    successfully loaded the questions to have most everyone agree.  :-)

  * Probably most importantly, we have +1 vote from Timothy Bennett, Andreas
    Oberhack, Alex Karasulu, and Stephen McConnell on the following
    proposal:

         1. We move Fortress into sustainable retirement
         2. We move Phoenix into terminal retirement
         3. We update our website and re-position Avalon on Framework
            and the core facilities within Merlin
         4. We bring Avalon Components up-to-date with the Meta Specs
            (while maintaining legacy support for Phoenix meta)
         5. We move facilities to Avalon Components

    That's not a complete consensus, but it's a decent crew.

So, that's about where we are.  I'm sure I'm missing some things and for
that I apologize.

So where to from here?  I think we can split things up into two categories:

  1. Core Mission Proposal
  2. Working out the implementation details

1. Core Mission Proposal -- this has to do with Stephen's proposal on
retiring Phoenix/Fortress and moving ahead on Merlin.  If we can get a
complete consensus on this, then I believe we can begin to handle:

2. Working out the implementation details.  This involves everyone working
on a common code base and solving interesting problems like
Aspect/Appliances, Meta-info, Repository implementations, etc.  To do this
we can begin working out a simple roadmap or set of issues.  I think a lot
of this could be done via JIRA.

Do you think we need a "formal" dev and/or PMC vote on #1?  Can we just go
to vote or do we need yet-another-proposal to summarize this?  Am I missing
anyone's concerns.

Thanks to all those who still have hope and are hanging in there! :)

J. Aaron Farr
  SONY ELECTRONICS
  DDP-CIM
  (724) 696-7653

Re: [avalon] State of Consensus

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org>.
Farr, Aaron wrote:

> Do you think we need a "formal" dev and/or PMC vote on #1?  Can we just go
> to vote or do we need yet-another-proposal to summarize this?  Am I missing
> anyone's concerns.

PMC vote is only necessary to change or ratify the working Charter, if that is
done.

Other than that, if all devs are in favor, move forward.

> Thanks to all those who still have hope and are hanging in there! :)

I'm still eavesdropping, so I'm not completely out of the picture.