Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Maciej Szymkiewicz <ms...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/11 12:18:55 UTC

[PYSPARK] Python tests organization

Hi,

I can't help but wonder if there is any practical reason for keeping
monolithic test modules. These things are already pretty large (1500 -
2200 LOCs) and can only grow. Development aside, I assume that many
users use tests the same way as me, to check the intended behavior, and
largish loosely coupled modules make it harder than it should be.

If there's no rationale for that it could be a good time start thinking
about moving tests to packages and separating into modules reflecting
project structure.

--
Best,
Maciej

Re: [PYSPARK] Python tests organization

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.
Yes absolutely.

Posted by Saikat Kanjilal <sx...@hotmail.com>.
Is it worth to come up with a proposal for this and float to dev?

________________________________

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Saikat Kanjilal <sx...@hotmail.com>.
Maciej/Reynolds,

If its ok with you guys I can start working on a proposal and create a JIRA, let me know next steps.

Thanks in advance.

________________________________

Re: [PYSPARK] Python tests organization

Posted by Maciej Szymkiewicz <ms...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Holden. If you have some spare time would you take a look at
https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/16534?

It is somewhat related to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-18777 (Return UDF objects
when registering from Python).

--
Maciej Szymkiewicz

Re: [PYSPARK] Python tests organization

Posted by Saikat Kanjilal <sx...@hotmail.com>.

Maciej/Holden,

If its ok for I can come up with a proposal for reorganization and add the proposal to the JIRA as next steps before we break up the work?

Thanks

Posted by Maciej Szymkiewicz <ms...@gmail.com>.

--
Maciej Szymkiewicz