Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kurt Overberg <ku...@hotdogrecords.com> on 2003/03/18 06:29:39 UTC

Tomcat/Struts DB connection pool?

I'm running Tomcat 4.1.18 with Struts (release version) on RedHat 7.3.
I'm connecting to a postgres 7.3.2 database (running on the same
machine) using the JDBC2 drivers.  1Gb of ram, with a decent processor.
  I'm using the default struts database connection stuff.  Here's the
struts DB config:

     <data-sources>
         <data-source
             autoCommit="true"
             description="PostresQL Connection"
             driverClass="org.postgresql.Driver"
             maxCount="100"
             minCount="10"
             password="passwd"
             url="jdbc:postgresql://localhost/mydb"
             user="dbuser">
         </data-source>
     </data-sources>

I "inherited" this application with no documentation, and I'm kinda new
to struts.  I've been doing well working on the app, as struts is KINDA
straightforward.  Now I'm tasked with moving the app from a shared sun
box to this linux server.  It seems that I'm having problems with my
database connection.

Things start off okay, with about 10 postgres processes taking up around
8 Megs each.  After about an hour, the postgres processes have grown to
like 70 or 80 Mb each.  If I let it run longer, they get up to around
200Mb, most of which is allocated out of the shared memory space, but
still, it gets slow and kinda clunky.  If I reload (or restart, of
course) tomcat, the postgres sizes drop back down to 10 Mb.  This leads
me to believe that I'm somehow leaking DB connections.  Reloading tomcat
doesn't seem to affect the memory size of tomcat, but its not really
getting that big anyway, so I'm less worried about that.  I've checked
over the code, and I'm closing and setting to null all my ResultSet's,
Statements and Connections.  I'm POSITIVE that I'm not leaving
connections open in my java source.

I've been unable to find on the net a good document explaining how to
make sure that the struts DB stuff is using a pooled connection.  Should
I switch to another pooling mechanism?  Can anyone recommend one?  Does
my struts db config look correct?  Has anyone set this up before in a
similar environment?  Any thoughts or comments would be greatly
appreciated!  Thanks!

/kurt