Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Antoine Lévy-Lambert <an...@antbuild.com> on 2004/01/12 23:43:06 UTC

ant xdocs proposals

Hi,

I am currently working in dev on ant xdocs proposal (quite silent work
actually, I only did one or 2 commits in December).
I have noticed that ant xdocs proposals is failing on most gump
instances, but it should be possible to make it work.
Normally the jar files which should be used for this build are checked
in in the ant repository under proposal/xdocs/lib.
If you do not want to run proposal/xdocs using checked in jars for the
xdoclet functionality because you want to run it against the latest good
version of xdoclet, should be fair enough.

This one http://nagoya.apache.org/~rubys/gump/ant-xdocs-proposal.html
is complaining about missing prereqs

Missing prereq |/tmp/gump/xdoclet/target/lib/xdoclet-20040112.jar| from
xdoclet <http://nagoya.apache.org/%7Erubys/gump/xdoclet.html>
Missing prereq
|/tmp/gump/xdoclet/target/lib/xdoclet-apache-module-20040112.jar| from
xdoclet <http://nagoya.apache.org/%7Erubys/gump/xdoclet.html>
Missing prereq
|/tmp/gump/xdoclet/target/lib/xdoclet-bea-module-20040112.jar| from
xdoclet <http://nagoya.apache.org/%7Erubys/gump/xdoclet.html>

the jars which are declared missing there are present under other names
under proposal/xdocs/lib in the ant repository

here is what I have got :

  -rw-r--r--    1 antoine  Kein        91866 Jan  5  2003
commons-collections-2.0.jar
  -rw-r--r--    1 antoine  Kein        26388 Jan  5  2003
commons-logging.jar
  -rw-r--r--    1 antoine  Kein       150795 Apr 30  2003
xdoclet-1.2b3-dev.jar
  -rw-r--r--    1 antoine  Kein       192570 Apr 30  2003
xdoclet-ejb-module-1.2b3-dev.jar
  -rw-r--r--    1 antoine  Kein        39403 Apr 30  2003
xdoclet-web-module-1.2b3-dev.jar
  -rw-r--r--    1 antoine  Kein        56298 Apr 30  2003
xdoclet-xdoclet-module-1.2b3-dev.jar
  -rw-r--r--    1 antoine  Kein       230443 Apr 30  2003
xjavadoc-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

other jars listed by gump as prereqs are not really required by
proposal/xdocs

This gump instance http://gump.cocoondev.org/ant-xdocs-proposal.html
consistently complains about the same missing prerequs.

This one http://nagoya.apache.org/~dims/gump/ant/ant-xdocs-proposal.html
is complaining about xom missing =-O  (I do not know xom, not sure
whether it is required by ant xdocs proposals).

So could one of you guys fix the descriptors for ant xdocs proposal or
discuss a way forward to get this built ?

Other ideas/changes will come next :
- generate the xdocs from ant's build/classes directory + lib/optional
(ie what has just been built) rather than based on ${ant.home} (what has
been installed, might be different)
- use anakia to go from xml to html instead of dvsl . It will be more
consistent with the rest of the ant docs, maybe will be helpful to
generate tabs on the top of the page and content frames on the left
looking like what is there in the top level elements of
http://ant.apache.org

Cheers,

Antoine

Re: ant xdocs proposals

Posted by Antoine Lévy-Lambert <an...@antbuild.com>.
Erik Hatcher wrote:

> But this is precisely the purpose of Gump, to find where the chain of
> dependencies break that are hopefully transient because of
> inter-project miscommunication or worse.  In the current run it looks
> like JavaCC failed to build which is what underlies xjavadoc.

Fair enough.

> We probably ought to upgrade what we have in the lib directory to
> XDoclet 1.2 Final - it is unlikely to change anytime soon from that
> version.

Done

>> Other ideas/changes will come next :
>> - generate the xdocs from ant's build/classes directory +
>> lib/optional (ie what has just been built) rather than based on
>> ${ant.home} (what has been installed, might be different)
>

> Sounds fair enough.

I still would like to do this

>> - use anakia to go from xml to html instead of dvsl . It will be more
>> consistent with the rest of the ant docs, maybe will be helpful to
>> generate tabs on the top of the page and content frames on the left
>> looking like what is there in the top level elements of
>> http://ant.apache.org
>

> Or maybe Forrestize it?  But I'll leave the prettying up of this to
> those that are good at that stuff :)

I have had a look at forrest and it looks nice. I am going to see if I
can use it to convert the xdocs of the manual to html. Might take me a
few days though.

Cheers,

Antoine

Re: ant xdocs proposals

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Jan 12, 2004, at 5:43 PM, Antoine Lévy-Lambert wrote:
> This one http://nagoya.apache.org/~rubys/gump/ant-xdocs-proposal.html
> is complaining about missing prereqs
>
> Missing prereq |/tmp/gump/xdoclet/target/lib/xdoclet-20040112.jar|
> from xdoclet <http://nagoya.apache.org/%7Erubys/gump/xdoclet.html>
> Missing prereq
> |/tmp/gump/xdoclet/target/lib/xdoclet-apache-module-20040112.jar| from
> xdoclet <http://nagoya.apache.org/%7Erubys/gump/xdoclet.html>
> Missing prereq
> |/tmp/gump/xdoclet/target/lib/xdoclet-bea-module-20040112.jar| from
> xdoclet <http://nagoya.apache.org/%7Erubys/gump/xdoclet.html>
>
> the jars which are declared missing there are present under other
> names under proposal/xdocs/lib in the ant repository

But this is precisely the purpose of Gump, to find where the chain of
dependencies break that are hopefully transient because of
inter-project miscommunication or worse.  In the current run it looks
like JavaCC failed to build which is what underlies xjavadoc.

> here is what I have got :
>
>  -rw-r--r--    1 antoine  Kein        91866 Jan  5  2003
> commons-collections-2.0.jar
>  -rw-r--r--    1 antoine  Kein        26388 Jan  5  2003
> commons-logging.jar
>  -rw-r--r--    1 antoine  Kein       150795 Apr 30  2003
> xdoclet-1.2b3-dev.jar
>  -rw-r--r--    1 antoine  Kein       192570 Apr 30  2003
> xdoclet-ejb-module-1.2b3-dev.jar
>  -rw-r--r--    1 antoine  Kein        39403 Apr 30  2003
> xdoclet-web-module-1.2b3-dev.jar
>  -rw-r--r--    1 antoine  Kein        56298 Apr 30  2003
> xdoclet-xdoclet-module-1.2b3-dev.jar
>  -rw-r--r--    1 antoine  Kein       230443 Apr 30  2003
> xjavadoc-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
>
> other jars listed by gump as prereqs are not really required by
> proposal/xdocs

We probably ought to upgrade what we have in the lib directory to
XDoclet 1.2 Final - it is unlikely to change anytime soon from that
version.

> So could one of you guys fix the descriptors for ant xdocs proposal or
> discuss a way forward to get this built ?

I don't have the time to really dig into the specifics, but it seems
that everything is working "as it should" with Gump, and it is finding
issues with dependencies.  Or is it failing all the time?  The idea is
for us to communicate the problem to the project causing the failure
and let them know what is wrong - they may be completely and happily
oblivious to a change they made that breaks everyone that depends on
them.

> Other ideas/changes will come next :
> - generate the xdocs from ant's build/classes directory + lib/optional
> (ie what has just been built) rather than based on ${ant.home} (what
> has been installed, might be different)

Sounds fair enough.

> - use anakia to go from xml to html instead of dvsl . It will be more
> consistent with the rest of the ant docs, maybe will be helpful to
> generate tabs on the top of the page and content frames on the left
> looking like what is there in the top level elements of
> http://ant.apache.org

Or maybe Forrestize it?  But I'll leave the prettying up of this to
those that are good at that stuff :)

	Erik

Re: ant xdocs proposals

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Jan 14, 2004, at 3:18 PM, Antoine Lévy-Lambert wrote:
> The advantage of generating the xdocs from build/classes is that it
> makes the development cycle a bit shorter.
> For instance, if you add a new task in your development workspace,
> then you can generate the xdocs as soon as you have compiled the
> class,
> (and probably added it to defaults.properties) without waiting for
> this class to be in your ant installation.
>
> I stumbled against this because I have an installed ant 1.6.0 version,
> and it would not generate the xdocs for the Classloader and the Nice
> tasks which are 1.7alpha specific tasks.
> I was first wondering whether it was due to some bug in xdoclet, I
> even downloaded the sources and was already dreaming :-(  of debugging
> ant + xdoclet to find out why I had ClassNotFoundException s
> when processing Classloader and Nice.

This is really only a hairy issue for processing Ant code itself.  In a
general purpose sense for others using this xdocs stuff (like Steve
does with Axis tasks, I believe) is only that the .java processed needs
to have been compiled first and in the classpath (which is used for the
IntrospectionHelper magic).

	Erik

Re: ant xdocs proposals

Posted by Antoine Lévy-Lambert <an...@antbuild.com>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>"You guys" includes you, Antoine, as all Apache committers have commit
>access to the Gump repository.

OK - I need to study Gump.

>>or discuss a way forward to get this built ?
>>

>I'd propose to set up a second xdocs project with the xdoclet
>dependencies replaced by <work> entries for the jars in Ant's CVS.
>That new project would build and the old will not as long as XDoclet
>doesn't build, but will use the latest XDoclet once it builds again.

Will try to set up the second project.

Re: ant xdocs proposals

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Antoine Lévy-Lambert <an...@antbuild.com>
wrote:

> I have noticed that ant xdocs proposals is failing on most gump
> instances,

Largely because xdoclet fails to build.

> Normally the jar files which should be used for this build are
> checked in in the ant repository under proposal/xdocs/lib.

Well, it is against Gump's declared purpose to use them.

> So could one of you guys fix the descriptors

"You guys" includes you, Antoine, as all Apache committers have commit
access to the Gump repository.

> or discuss a way forward to get this built ?

I'd propose to set up a second xdocs project with the xdoclet
dependencies replaced by <work> entries for the jars in Ant's CVS.
That new project would build and the old will not as long as XDoclet
doesn't build, but will use the latest XDoclet once it builds again.

> Other ideas/changes will come next : - generate the xdocs from ant's
> build/classes directory + lib/optional (ie what has just been built)
> rather than based on ${ant.home}

ant.home is the location of the freshly compiled Ant, it get's set in
the Gump descriptor.

Stefan

Re: ant xdocs proposals

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.