Posted to users@zeppelin.apache.org by Park Hoon <1a...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/24 04:10:44 UTC

Updating the official homepage

 Hi, I am Hoon.

I would like to suggest updating official homepage. Here are few reasons.

   1. It’s hard to find content for beginners.

For example, Let’s say I want to use python and don’t much know about
Zeppelin. But the main page doesn’t say what should I do.

As you know, The tutorial is quite outdated and The homepage doesn’t have
a *getting started* section.

[image: Inline image 2]

Also, if I want to know how to use `%python` interpreter, I should click
twice.

- Docs -> Version
- Interpreter -> Python

However, I don’t see beginner can do this easily. Even they don’t know what
is the interpreter.

[image: Inline image 1]

[image: Inline image 3]

Here is a good example.

- In tensor flow, Beginners can click the button `GET STARTED`
- https://www.tensorflow.org/get_started/

[image: Inline image 7]

   1. Content is not organized for different types of users.

Some users are admins. Others might be just individual users or developers.
But the current official page doesn’t provide useful information for each
group.

For example, an admin might want to know about multiple user supports.
(Login  / Logout) or Let’s say I want to configure zeppelin spark
interpreter for my yarn / mesos cluster. But the problem is, It’s not easy
to find that information. Also, some information is not included in
official docs.

Docker official doc has a good example. https://docs.docker.com/

[image: Inline image 4]

[image: Inline image 5]

Also, users might be interested in different interpreters. For instance,
Spark / Python / JDBC / Others. We should provide links for that
information in the front page instead of just listing new features.

[image: Inline image 6]

Any suggestion or advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Updating the official homepage

Posted by Park Hoon <1a...@gmail.com>.
Hi, all!

Regarding improving documentation page, a PR was submitted.

- https://github.com/apache/zeppelin/pull/2371

Any feedback or advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 6:44 PM, Park Hoon <1a...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, All! Thanks for your opinion.
>
> I think we can search in stackoverflow as well using tags.
>
> - `apache-zeppelin`: 555 questions
> - `apache-zeppelin` + `spark`: 264
> - `apache-zeppelin` + `python`: 28
> - `apache-zeppelin` + `hive`: 20
> - `apache-zeppelin` + `cassandra`: 11
> - `apache-zeppelin` + `jdbc`: 6
> - `apache-zeppelin` + `sql`: 3
> - `apache-zeppelin` + `elasticsearch`: 3
>
> There are not tagged questions and SO might not reflect all usage.
>

> Thanks. :)
>
> On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 6:29 PM, moon soo Lee <mo...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just counted number of issues in Zeppelin JIRA, with text
>>
>> Spark / Livy - 841 / 117
>> JDBC / SQL - 195 / 252
>> Python - 234
>> Shell - 169
>> Markdown - 90
>> Cassandra - 83
>>
>> Theses numbers reflect community activity on each interpreter. Although
>> they are not exactly usage, i think it is still meaningful data in this
>> discussions.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> moon
>>
>> On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 6:00 PM Paul-Armand Verhaegen <
>> paularmand.verhaegen@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> +1 for not starting that war without data on usage.

>>> On 25 May 2017, at 10:56, Partridge, Lucas (GE Aviation) <
>>> Lucas.Partridge@ge.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Some great ideas here.
>>>
>>> I’m just a bit concerned about the most popular interpreters being
>>> listed as Spark, JDBC and Python. Is that based on real usage data for the
>>> different interpreters; if such data is available?  I’ve never knowingly
>>> used the JDBC interpreter, and the team of data scientists I work with
>>> mostly use the Python, SQL, Spark and Shell interpreters. But this will
>>> probably vary between teams and I don’t want to start a ‘my favourite 3
>>> interpreters’ war!  If you’re trying to appeal to the Data Scientist
>>> community, assuming that’s the main type of user, we should think of the
>>> interpreters that appeal most to them.
>>>
>>> Thanks, Lucas.

>>> http://zeppelin.apache.org/).
>>> for example, I attached the following screenshots about Cloudera web

Posted by Park Hoon <1a...@gmail.com>.

Posted by moon soo Lee <mo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Paul-Armand Verhaegen <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Partridge, Lucas (GE Aviation)" <Lu...@ge.com>.
Some great ideas here.

I’m just a bit concerned about the most popular interpreters being listed as Spark, JDBC and Python. Is that based on real usage data for the different interpreters; if such data is available?  I’ve never knowingly used the JDBC interpreter, and the team of data scientists I work with mostly use the Python, SQL, Spark and Shell interpreters. But this will probably vary between teams and I don’t want to start a ‘my favourite 3 interpreters’ war!  If you’re trying to appeal to the Data Scientist community, assuming that’s the main type of user, we should think of the interpreters that appeal most to them.

Thanks, Lucas.

And I also would like to suggest two ideas.

1. Adding 'Quick Interpreters Links' to documentations (http://zeppelin.apache.org/).
for example, I attached the following screenshots about Cloudera web site.

[본문 이미지 1]       [본문 이미지 2]

2. Adding left menu documentation structure such as TensorFlow and Docker web site.
I think this structure is more comfortable user point of view searching documentation.
[본문 이미지 1]

- Docker

[본문 이미지 2]​

What do you think of that?
If that is okay, I'll make a rough design like Hoon!
And also any suggestion or advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sora

Hi, All! Thanks for replying!

I created a JIRA ticket for updating official homepage
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZEPPELIN-2583?jql=project%20%3D%20ZEPPELIN)

Also, I attached a rough design in this email and There are few details and backgrounds for the change.

1. Main Page (zeppelin.apache.com<http://zeppelin.apache.com>): Header

## Before

[Inline image 13]

## After

[Inline image 14]

## Details

- Add `Quick Start` menu: which can be helpful for beginner
- Remove `Github` menu: everyone can search GitHub.com/zeppelin<http://GitHub.com/zeppelin> in google.
- `Community` menu was moved to before `Apache` menu. That’s because It’s not the most important menu.

2. Main Page (zeppelin.apache.com<http://zeppelin.apache.com>): Section 1

## Before

[Inline image 16]

## After

[Inline image 18]
## Details

The used texts are just coped from somewhere, and design can be improved. So please focus on the structure of the page, not the text.

- Remove the large `Apache Zeppelin` text. There is no reason to keep it. Everyone knows this is Zeppelin web site.
- Replace the outdated `TUTORIAL VIDEO` button to `GET STARTED` button to help new comers.

3. Main Page (zeppelin.apache.com<http://zeppelin.apache.com>): Section 2

## Before

[Inline image 22]

## After

[Inline image 24]

## Details

The used texts are just coped from somewhere, and design can be improved. So please focus on the structure of the page, not the text.

- This is a new section will be located top on (previous) the *new feature* section.
- `Spark`, `JDBC` and `Python` are the most important interpreters in Zeppelin and they are what the beginners want to use at first.
- depending on the type of users, they have different interests. So  `User / Admin / Contributor` menus will helpful for each group. See the documentation page screenshot for detail.

4. Documentation Page (http://zeppelin.apache.org/docs/version/<http://zeppelin.apache.org/docs/0.8.0-SNAPSHOT/>): Header

## Before

[Inline image 15]
## After

[Inline image 17]

## Details

- Add `User`, `Admin` menus: - menus are now organized based on user types.
- Remove `Display System` menu. It can be located under `User`

5. Documentation Page (http://zeppelin.apache.org/docs/version/<http://zeppelin.apache.org/docs/0.8.0-SNAPSHOT/>): Content

## Before

[Inline image 28]

## After

[Inline image 27]

## Details

- Removed duplicated information which already introduced on the main page. For example spark section, open source section, pivot, built-in visualizations. We have to make user see the documentation which is really important instead of listing features.

6. Documentation Page (http://zeppelin.apache.org/docs/version/<http://zeppelin.apache.org/docs/0.8.0-SNAPSHOT/>): Header Details

## Before

[Inline image 20]

## After

[Inline image 19]

[Inline image 23]
[Inline image 25]
[Inline image 21]
[Inline image 26]

Posted by Sora Lee <so...@zepl.com>.
​Hi, all
Sorry for confusing this sentence. That's my mistake.

1. Adding 'Quick Interpreters Links' to documentations (
http://zeppelin.apache.org/).
​

The idea was first mentioned by Hoon, and I suggested about design.

thanks,
Sora
​

Posted by Sora Lee <so...@zepl.com>.
+1 Nice design!

Posted by Hyung Sung Shim <hs...@nflabs.com>.
Hoon and Sora.
Thank you for your efforts!
It's really great improvements~
2017년 6월 30일 (금) 오후 3:37, Sora Lee <so...@zepl.com>님이 작성:

Posted by Reminia Scarlet <re...@gmail.com>.
I think the font style of title quick start/usage and so on is better look in version 0.7.1.
The title font could  be a little thick.

Re: Re: Updating the official homepage

Posted by Windy Qin <wi...@163.com>.
I think this page (http://zeppelin.apache.org/docs/0.8.0-SNAPSHOT/ ) is more comfortable

Thanks
WindyQin

I created a JIRA ticket for updating official homepage
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZEPPELIN-2583?jql=project%20%3D%20ZEPPELIN)

Also, I attached a rough design in this email and There are few details and backgrounds for the change.

1. Main Page (zeppelin.apache.com): Header

## Before

## After

## Details

- Add `Quick Start` menu: which can be helpful for beginner
- Remove `Github` menu: everyone can search GitHub.com/zeppelin in google.
- `Community` menu was moved to before `Apache` menu. That’s because It’s not the most important menu.

2. Main Page (zeppelin.apache.com): Section 1

## Before

## After

## Details

The used texts are just coped from somewhere, and design can be improved. So please focus on the structure of the page, not the text.

- Remove the large `Apache Zeppelin` text. There is no reason to keep it. Everyone knows this is Zeppelin web site.
- Replace the outdated `TUTORIAL VIDEO` button to `GET STARTED` button to help new comers.

3. Main Page (zeppelin.apache.com): Section 2

4. Documentation Page (http://zeppelin.apache.org/docs/version/): Header

5. Documentation Page (http://zeppelin.apache.org/docs/version/): Content

6. Documentation Page (http://zeppelin.apache.org/docs/version/): Header Details

Posted by Sora Lee <so...@zepl.com>.
​Hi, all!

Posted by Park Hoon <1a...@gmail.com>.
Hi users,

Posted by Park Hoon <1a...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jun Kim <i2...@gmail.com>.
macOS Sierra, MacBook Pro 15-inch, and Chrome browser.

It looks different with me :)
Thanks for your agree!

[image: image.png]

2017년 6월 29일 (목) 오후 7:32, Park Hoon <1a...@gmail.com>님이 작성:

> Thanks for reporting them.
>
> -Regarding invalid image URLs, I found the cause and will fix ASAP. (
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZEPPELIN-2707)
>
> @Jun Kim,
>
> Which browser and OS you are using?
>
> And it seems that we need V scrolls for them. (Setup, Usage) like the
> interpreter menu.
>
> Regard,
>
> [image: image.png]
>

> On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 4:41 PM, Jun Kim <i2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I love it! Obviously better than before :)
>>
>> But Usage & Setup drop-downs are too long and the ends of them are cut!
>> So, I think they need scroll bars like Interpreter drop-down.
>> The image below shows that the drop-down is cut.
>>
>> [image: image.png]
>>

>> 2017년 6월 29일 (목) 오후 4:25, Prabhjyot Singh <pr...@gmail.com>님이
>> 작성:
>>
>>> Not sure if this is related but images are missing in all interpreters.
>>> e.g
>>> http://zeppelin.apache.org/docs/0.8.0-SNAPSHOT/interpreter/r.html#using-the-r-interpreter

Taejun Kim

Data Mining Lab.
University of Seoul

Re: Updating the official homepage

Posted by Park Hoon <1a...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for reporting them.

Posted by Jun Kim <i2...@gmail.com>.

--
Taejun Kim

Data Mining Lab.
University of Seoul

Re: Updating the official homepage

Posted by Prabhjyot Singh <pr...@gmail.com>.

--
Thankx and Regards,

Prabhjyot Singh

Re: Updating the official homepage

Posted by Park Hoon <1a...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sora Lee <so...@zepl.com>.
​Hi all!

Posted by Park Hoon <1a...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Sora Lee <so...@zepl.com>.
Hi, all

Posted by Prabhjyot Singh <pr...@gmail.com>.
+1

On May 24, 2017 6:06 PM, "Jongyoul Lee" <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

I like this idea, too.

On Wed, 24 May 2017 at 02:26 Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1 for redesign the home page. Do you have a rough design for new offical
> homepage ?
>

> Park Hoon <1a...@gmail.com>于2017年5月24日周三 下午12:13写道:
>
>> Hi, I am Hoon.
>>
>> I would like to suggest updating official homepage. Here are few reasons.
>>

>>    1. It’s hard to find content for beginners.
>>

>> For example, Let’s say I want to use python and don’t much know about
>> Zeppelin. But the main page doesn’t say what should I do.
>>
>> As you know, The tutorial is quite outdated and The homepage doesn’t have
>> a *getting started* section.
>>
>> [image: Inline image 2]
>>
>> Also, if I want to know how to use `%python` interpreter, I should click
>> twice.
>>
>> - Docs -> Version
>> - Interpreter -> Python
>>
>> However, I don’t see beginner can do this easily. Even they don’t know
>> what is the interpreter.
>>
>> [image: Inline image 1]
>>
>> [image: Inline image 3]
>>
>> Here is a good example.
>>
>> - In tensor flow, Beginners can click the button `GET STARTED`
>> - https://www.tensorflow.org/get_started/
>>
>> [image: Inline image 7]
>>

>>    1. Content is not organized for different types of users.
>>

>> Some users are admins. Others might be just individual users
>> or developers. But the current official page doesn’t provide useful
>> information for each group.
>>
>> For example, an admin might want to know about multiple user supports.
>> (Login  / Logout) or Let’s say I want to configure zeppelin spark
>> interpreter for my yarn / mesos cluster. But the problem is, It’s not easy
>> to find that information. Also, some information is not included in
>> official docs.
>>
>> Docker official doc has a good example. https://docs.docker.com/
>>
>> [image: Inline image 4]
>>
>> [image: Inline image 5]
>>

>> Also, users might be interested in different interpreters. For instance,
>> Spark / Python / JDBC / Others. We should provide links for that
>> information in the front page instead of just listing new features.
>>
>> [image: Inline image 6]
>>
>> Any suggestion or advice will be appreciated.
>>

>> Thanks.
>>
> --
이종열, Jongyoul Lee, 李宗烈
http://madeng.net

Re: Updating the official homepage

Posted by Jongyoul Lee <jo...@gmail.com>.
I like this idea, too.
On Wed, 24 May 2017 at 02:26 Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1 for redesign the home page. Do you have a rough design for new offical
> homepage ?
>

> Park Hoon <1a...@gmail.com>于2017年5月24日周三 下午12:13写道:
>
>> Hi, I am Hoon.
>>
>> I would like to suggest updating official homepage. Here are few reasons.
>>

>>    1. It’s hard to find content for beginners.
>>

>> For example, Let’s say I want to use python and don’t much know about
>> Zeppelin. But the main page doesn’t say what should I do.
>>
>> As you know, The tutorial is quite outdated and The homepage doesn’t have
>> a *getting started* section.
>>
>> [image: Inline image 2]
>>
>> Also, if I want to know how to use `%python` interpreter, I should click
>> twice.
>>
>> - Docs -> Version
>> - Interpreter -> Python
>>
>> However, I don’t see beginner can do this easily. Even they don’t know
>> what is the interpreter.
>>
>> [image: Inline image 1]
>>
>> [image: Inline image 3]
>>
>> Here is a good example.
>>
>> - In tensor flow, Beginners can click the button `GET STARTED`
>> - https://www.tensorflow.org/get_started/
>>
>> [image: Inline image 7]
>>

>>    1. Content is not organized for different types of users.
>>

>> Some users are admins. Others might be just individual users
>> or developers. But the current official page doesn’t provide useful
>> information for each group.
>>
>> For example, an admin might want to know about multiple user supports.
>> (Login  / Logout) or Let’s say I want to configure zeppelin spark
>> interpreter for my yarn / mesos cluster. But the problem is, It’s not easy
>> to find that information. Also, some information is not included in
>> official docs.
>>
>> Docker official doc has a good example. https://docs.docker.com/
>>
>> [image: Inline image 4]
>>
>> [image: Inline image 5]
>>

>> Also, users might be interested in different interpreters. For instance,
>> Spark / Python / JDBC / Others. We should provide links for that
>> information in the front page instead of just listing new features.
>>
>> [image: Inline image 6]
>>
>> Any suggestion or advice will be appreciated.
>>

>> Thanks.
>>
> --
이종열, Jongyoul Lee, 李宗烈
http://madeng.net