Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2003/02/03 18:17:25 UTC

[VOTE] Removal of @deprecation tags

In Framework, it appears that the presence of @deprecation tags
will cause problems and confusion with Cocoon's users.  THey are
rather large, and slow moving so the change will definitely take
time.

The problem is *not* with the component writers.  People who are
writing components won't need or want to implement the Component
interface.  They won't even really need to acknowledge its
existence.  The issue is with Container writers.  Folks who write
containers for Cocoon blocks, etc. might experience some problems.
Especially those that are outside our control.

Nevertheless, to help the Cocooners in their goal, we have to
consider the removal of the deprecation warning as a Javadoc,
and change its representation to the user.

I suggest we change the deprecation warnings in the
org.apache.avalon.framework.component.* so they do not use
@deprecation.  I suggest we change the representation to

   with an explanation here.

Re: [VOTE] Removal of @deprecation tags

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
+1

Berin Loritsch wrote:

> In Framework, it appears that the presence of @deprecation tags
> will cause problems and confusion with Cocoon's users.  THey are
> rather large, and slow moving so the change will definitely take
> time.
>
> The problem is *not* with the component writers.  People who are
> writing components won't need or want to implement the Component
> interface.  They won't even really need to acknowledge its
> existence.  The issue is with Container writers.  Folks who write
> containers for Cocoon blocks, etc. might experience some problems.
> Especially those that are outside our control.
>
> Nevertheless, to help the Cocooners in their goal, we have to
> consider the removal of the deprecation warning as a Javadoc,
> and change its representation to the user.
>
> I suggest we change the deprecation warnings in the
> org.apache.avalon.framework.component.* so they do not use
> @deprecation.  I suggest we change the representation to

>   with an explanation here.

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org
http://www.osm.net

Re: [VOTE] Removal of @deprecation tags

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Berin Loritsch wrote:
> I suggest we change the deprecation warnings in the
> org.apache.avalon.framework.component.* so they do not use
> @deprecation.

+1

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [VOTE] Removal of @deprecation tags

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
+1

- Leo

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Leif Mortenson wrote:
> +1
> Aww man.  And after I finally got so tired of them that I forced myself
> to move to using services... :-)

That's a good thing.

> We have had a lot of confused users comment on them before so this is a
> good idea.

Cool.

Re: [VOTE] Removal of @deprecation tags

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com>.
+1
Aww man.  And after I finally got so tired of them that I forced myself
to move to using services... :-)
We have had a lot of confused users comment on them before so this is a
good idea.

Cheers,
Leif

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.

> From: Berin Loritsch [mailto:bloritsch@apache.org]
>
> I suggest we change the deprecation warnings in the
> org.apache.avalon.framework.component.* so they do not use
> @deprecation.  I suggest we change the representation to

>    with an explanation here.

+1 for the suggestion.

It seems that even though Berin does have a working technical
solution that would cover 95% of the use cases, we gain very
little by the @deprecation tags in relation to how much they
annoy our users with the remaining 5%.

/LS

Re: [VOTE] Removal of @deprecation tags

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Peter Royal wrote:
>
>> On Monday, February 3, 2003, at 12:17  PM, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>>
>>> I suggest we change the deprecation warnings in the
>>> org.apache.avalon.framework.component.* so they do not use
>>> @deprecation.  I suggest we change the representation to

>>>   with an explanation here.
>>

>> +1 to removal and +1 to the replacement above.
>>
>> i can view warnings for my cocoon build once again!
>

> with my avalon hat on, +1, and with my cocoon hat on, I want to thank
> you all very much for showing such respect on your user pool.

:)  Contrary to popular believe, we like our users.

> I would like also to point out that Cocoon *is* willing to follow the
> technical trails that Avalon sets, expecially after the way this little
> potential friction has been resolved.

If you recall, the problem is not so much with writing the components.
It is more to do with writing containers.  Cocoon does do container
work.

I would venture to say that all of your well behaved components will
be able to be converted without any problems whatsoever.

> But for this, we'll need help and guidance on how to move forward and
> how to update Cocoon to be more friendly toward new technological
> directions Avalon takes, yet, without destroying binary back compatibility.

We will be very happy to help you.

Re: [VOTE] Removal of @deprecation tags

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>
    Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate [William of Ockham]

Re: [VOTE] Removal of @deprecation tags

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Monday, February 3, 2003, at 12:17  PM, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> I suggest we change the deprecation warnings in the
> org.apache.avalon.framework.component.* so they do not use
> @deprecation.  I suggest we change the representation to

>   with an explanation here.

+1 to removal and +1 to the replacement above.

i can view warnings for my cocoon build once again!
-pete