Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Sandeep Takhar <sa...@yahoo.com> on 2001/12/12 15:38:01 UTC

Different web apps and struts

there was a recent question in this list that I am
trying to understand the implications of.

I think that these are questions I should know the
answer to, and possibly look up elsewhere, but there
is some struts content eventually...

If there are multiple web-apps on the same server or a
different server than do you lose the session?
Different server I would think so.  How can you store
session information when going to a different web-app
context?

This question I should probably look up: When you do a
redirect do you lose the session information?

The question that was asked earlier: do you have to do
a redirect to connect from one web-app to another?

If everyone on the server is using a common ui
framework that includes struts and similar base
modifications to the struts framework: Does the
strut.jar file still need to be in WEB-INF/lib for all
these implementation or is there another configuration
possible?  Does this rely on the app server?

thanks,

Sandeep

Re: Different web apps and struts

Posted by Will Jaynes <wj...@mediaone.net>.
Comments interspersed below...

> there was a recent question in this list that I am
> trying to understand the implications of.
>
> I think that these are questions I should know the
> answer to, and possibly look up elsewhere, but there
> is some struts content eventually...
>
> If there are multiple web-apps on the same server or a
> different server than do you lose the session?
> Different server I would think so.  How can you store
> session information when going to a different web-app
> context?

By the servlet spec, web-apps do not share anything, including
sessions. To share information between different apps, even on
the same server, you'll need to come up with your own method.
Save to a database, or something.

> This question I should probably look up: When you do a
> redirect do you lose the session information?

If you redirect to the same app you shouldn't lose session.
Other apps, see above.

> The question that was asked earlier: do you have to do
> a redirect to connect from one web-app to another?
>
> If everyone on the server is using a common ui
> framework that includes struts and similar base
> modifications to the struts framework: Does the
> strut.jar file still need to be in WEB-INF/lib for all
> these implementation or is there another configuration
> possible?  Does this rely on the app server?

struts.jar needs to be in WEB-INF/lib for each app.
I'm not sure why.