Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de> on 2019/02/01 20:30:16 UTC

Encryption method in AOO?

Hello,

Which concrete encryption method is used in _current_ versions of AOO when I save files with password?

(In OpenOffice.org, as far as I know, blowfish was used, but how is that in current versions of AOO?)

greetings,
Jörg

Re: Encryption method in AOO?

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Jörg,

Am 01.02.19 um 21:30 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:
> Hello,
>
> Which concrete encryption method is used in _current_ versions of AOO when I save files with password?
>
> (In OpenOffice.org, as far as I know, blowfish was used, but how is that in current versions of AOO?)

I just want to repeat my answer from dev-de here.

For 4.1.x it is still blowfish. For 4.2.x you can alternatively choose
AES-256 (for ODF 1.2).
Settings are located at "Tools - Options - Load/Save - General"

Quoted from AOO 4.2.x online help:

      File encryption algorithm for ODF 1.2 format

Change the default file encryption from blowfish to AES-256 when ODF 1.2
is used. The default file encryption algorithm is blowfish but when ODF
1.2 is used the user can change the default to AES-256. Older encrypted
documents can still be loaded but new encrypted documents can't be
opened with older office versions. The AES-256 algorithm is more secure
than blowfish.

Regards,

   Matthias