Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Asad Chaudhary <ac...@utrc2.org> on 2003/10/13 03:05:23 UTC

[users@httpd] Delay on external IP (Apache 2 / Windows 2000 AS)

Hello:
I'm running Apache 2.0.47 on Windows 2000 Advanced Server.  My webserver acts as a router between the campus network (external subnet 255.255.0.0) and our office LAN (internal subnet 255.255.255.0).  Both subnets are public; the server has globally accessible IPs on both interfaces.  DNS queries on our domain name return the external IP first, then the internal IP.  This is what's happening:
1:  From within our internal LAN, all HTTP requests or telnet to port 80 resolve to internal address first (is this DNS behavior to favor same-subnet addresses?) and everything responds fine.
2:  From outside our internal LAN, the external IP is tried first.  This results in an HTTP timeout (about 120 seconds) before the internal IP is tried by the client and then Apache responds immediately.  Nothing in the config file tells Apache to favor one interface ("Listen 80").  Nothing is wrong with DNS, all other services work fine.  (Including webmail, POP3/SMTP, all to the domain name, no timeouts)
What could be causing this?
I've been testing to find the cause of this delay using telnet to port 80.

Asad Chaudhary
Intern, University Transportation Research Center, CCNY
The City College of New York
achaudhary@utrc2.org