Posted to dev@slider.apache.org by Sumit Mohanty <sm...@hortonworks.com> on 2014/08/21 23:12:48 UTC

Few changes/improvements to the packaging structure

There are some changes to the packaging structure based on some of the
recent JIRA fixes. Let me know if you have any suggestions/objections
regarding these and I will incorporate them before moving the change to
"develop".

   1. Ability to get the default configuration from the supplied default
   config file (SLIDER-338) - *Not a breaking change*
   1. Now you can only specify the configuration that needs to be changed
      from default in appConfig.json as the config property bag will be
      initialized with the values from the default config file.

      2. Ability to supply a folder with files that will be used as is
   (SLIDER-316) - *Not a breaking change*
      1. If there are config files that are not supported by a Slider
      packages yet then you can supply the config files as an input
(provide the
      location of the folder containing files) and the files will be available
      locally in the container. Its up to the package author to decide what to
      do. For example, the packages for HBase and Storm copy the
supplied config
      files as is but the files that are explicitly created overwrite any
      supplied file.

      3. Ability to provide the full content for files such as log4j or
   env.sh (SLIDER-315) - *Not a breaking change*
      1. The difference between this and the above is that you can still
      supply a template as the file content and have the template
materialized by
      the scripts based on other config properties. Useful, if you want to
      provide a custom env.sh file but still retain the ability to
auto-fill some
      properties

      4. Metainfo explicitly defines the config files needed by the
   application instance (SLIDER-346) - *breaking change*
   1. Its a breaking change because "config_types" property in
      appConfig.json is no longer referred to for finding out which config
      property types are expected by the app command scripts. Instead, the
      metainfo is read for the list of supported config types.

Close to the next release (post 0.50 RC that is out now), I will modify the
doc on application configuration to add these details.

-Sumit

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Few changes/improvements to the packaging structure

Posted by Sumit Mohanty <sm...@hortonworks.com>.
On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 2:50 PM, Jon Maron <jm...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> On Aug 21, 2014, at 5:12 PM, Sumit Mohanty <sm...@hortonworks.com>
> wrote:
>
> > There are some changes to the packaging structure based on some of the
> > recent JIRA fixes. Let me know if you have any suggestions/objections
> > regarding these and I will incorporate them before moving the change to
> > "develop".
> >

> >   1. Ability to get the default configuration from the supplied default
> >   config file (SLIDER-338) - *Not a breaking change*
> >   1. Now you can only specify the configuration that needs to be changed
> >      from default in appConfig.json as the config property bag will be
> >      initialized with the values from the default config file.
> >
> >      2. Ability to supply a folder with files that will be used as is
> >   (SLIDER-316) - *Not a breaking change*
> >      1. If there are config files that are not supported by a Slider
> >      packages yet then you can supply the config files as an input
> > (provide the
> >      location of the folder containing files) and the files will be
> available
> >      locally in the container. Its up to the package author to decide
> what to
> >      do. For example, the packages for HBase and Storm copy the
> > supplied config
> >      files as is but the files that are explicitly created overwrite any
> >      supplied file.
>
> Just to be clear:  that’s a folder in the app package tar?

No this is outside and is an input. Lets say the scenario is that
log4j.properties file is not supported by a package as in its not
configurable. User can still supply a log4j.properties file that will be
copied to the conf folder.

> >      3. Ability to provide the full content for files such as log4j or
> >   env.sh (SLIDER-315) - *Not a breaking change*
> >      1. The difference between this and the above is that you can still
> >      supply a template as the file content and have the template
> > materialized by
> >      the scripts based on other config properties. Useful, if you want to
> >      provide a custom env.sh file but still retain the ability to
> > auto-fill some
> >      properties
> >
> >      4. Metainfo explicitly defines the config files needed by the
> >   application instance (SLIDER-346) - *breaking change*
> >   1. Its a breaking change because "config_types" property in
> >      appConfig.json is no longer referred to for finding out which config
> >      property types are expected by the app command scripts. Instead, the
> >      metainfo is read for the list of supported config types.
>
> Is “no config types found in metainfo” an error condition with a message
> that will alert users?  Or are apps with no config types supported and
> therefore this error message can’t really be generated?  Perhaps the
> existence of the property in appConfig should trigger an error (or does it
> already)?
>
> No config is OK as some applications may not have any config files. I will
make the change to throw unsupported config error.

Posted by Jon Maron <jm...@hortonworks.com>.
On Aug 21, 2014, at 5:12 PM, Sumit Mohanty <sm...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> There are some changes to the packaging structure based on some of the
> recent JIRA fixes. Let me know if you have any suggestions/objections
> regarding these and I will incorporate them before moving the change to
> "develop".
>

>   1. Ability to get the default configuration from the supplied default
>   config file (SLIDER-338) - *Not a breaking change*
>   1. Now you can only specify the configuration that needs to be changed
>      from default in appConfig.json as the config property bag will be
>      initialized with the values from the default config file.
>
>      2. Ability to supply a folder with files that will be used as is
>   (SLIDER-316) - *Not a breaking change*
>      1. If there are config files that are not supported by a Slider
>      packages yet then you can supply the config files as an input
> (provide the
>      location of the folder containing files) and the files will be available
>      locally in the container. Its up to the package author to decide what to
>      do. For example, the packages for HBase and Storm copy the
> supplied config
>      files as is but the files that are explicitly created overwrite any
>      supplied file.

Just to be clear:  that’s a folder in the app package tar?

>      3. Ability to provide the full content for files such as log4j or
>   env.sh (SLIDER-315) - *Not a breaking change*
>      1. The difference between this and the above is that you can still
>      supply a template as the file content and have the template
> materialized by
>      the scripts based on other config properties. Useful, if you want to
>      provide a custom env.sh file but still retain the ability to
> auto-fill some
>      properties
>
>      4. Metainfo explicitly defines the config files needed by the
>   application instance (SLIDER-346) - *breaking change*
>   1. Its a breaking change because "config_types" property in
>      appConfig.json is no longer referred to for finding out which config
>      property types are expected by the app command scripts. Instead, the
>      metainfo is read for the list of supported config types.

Is “no config types found in metainfo” an error condition with a message that will alert users?  Or are apps with no config types supported and therefore this error message can’t really be generated?  Perhaps the existence of the property in appConfig should trigger an error (or does it already)?

> Close to the next release (post 0.50 RC that is out now), I will modify the
> doc on application configuration to add these details.
>
> -Sumit
>
> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE