Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Geir Rastad <Ge...@sds.no> on 1999/11/11 13:49:28 UTC

Does jakarta cache ??

I mostly lurk around in this forum to better understand the jakarta and its
possibilities, since I'm new to jsp I thought I should ask this question:

Does jakarta cache unchanged jsp files so it doesn't have to re-compile ?

Maybe this q got on the 'Top 10 most stupid questions asked', but
an example jsp I got from a guy took a while to both load and reload ...

   /----------------------------------------------------------\
 /                        Geir Rastad     \
|      Posten SDS AS                                      |
|      Divisjon Posttjenester                              |
|      Akersgata 35-39,                                     |
|      Postboks 4364 Torshov,                           |
|      0402 OSLO                                             |
|      Telefon 23 14 50 00 Telefaks 23 14 50 01   |
|                             Direkte tlf.nr. 23 14 46 66   |
|      URL: http://www.sds.no                            |
|                     Email: geir.rastad@sds.no         |

Re: Does jakarta cache ??

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@jmonkey.com>.
The question is not so stupid, but you obviously haven't written to many
Servlets :)

The answer is Yes and No...

A JSP page gets compiled into a servlet... once the servlet is loaded, it
stays loaded until its changed (at that time, its re-loaded), or the server
destroys it.

This is just a function of how servlets work, and not that a JSP page is
cached... it is different, in that the content of the page may be changed at
will by the Servlet/JSP page.

- Brill Pappin
  www.jmonkey.com