Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2001/08/09 20:23:50 UTC

url-path

It seems to me that
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_log_config.html
is wrong when it says that %...U logs "The URL path requested".
In the case of
http://example.com/one/two/three/four.html?five=six
the %U will log
/one/two/three/four.html

According to the RFCs as I've read them, the URL path should
be everything following the hostname/port (including the
query string).

I'm about to change the docs on this, but I just wanted to check if
I am misinterpreting something.

--
Joshua Slive
slive@commerce.ubc.ca

Re: url-path

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
On 2001-08-09 at 13h30, possibly To apache-docs@apache.org et al.,
the keyboard of "Joshua Slive" chattered:

> On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> > >
> > H'm.  I do not think so.  IIRC, the URI is the complete bit,
> > but the *path* stops at either the path-info or the query-string,
> > non-inclusive.  Hang on a sec..  Yes, see sections 3 and 3.3 of
> > RFC 2396, which clearly separates the path from the query.
> >

> Hmm, but if you look at RFC1738 (URLs), it says that the "path" is
> everything after the port number.

2396 updates 1738, if not obsoleting it.
--
#ken	P-)}

Apache Software Foundation         http://www.apache.org/
"Apache Server for Dummies"        http://Apache-Server.Com/
"Apache Server Unleashed"          http://ApacheUnleashed.Com/

Re: url-path

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> > According to the RFCs as I've read them, the URL path should
> > be everything following the hostname/port (including the
> > query string).
>
> H'm.  I do not think so.  IIRC, the URI is the complete bit,
> but the *path* stops at either the path-info or the query-string,
> non-inclusive.  Hang on a sec..  Yes, see sections 3 and 3.3 of
> RFC 2396, which clearly separates the path from the query.

Hmm, but if you look at RFC1738 (URLs), it says that the "path" is
everything after the port number.  (But then, when giving specific
examples, tends to use path as not including the query string.)
Ah well.  I'll just tack a "(not including any query string)"
on the end.

The rest of the docs are pretty much all over the placed in
referring to URI, URL, relative-URL, URL-path, etc.
I guess we should just try to be more explicit when using
these terms.

Joshua.

Re: url-path

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Joshua Slive wrote:

> It seems to me that
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_log_config.html
> is wrong when it says that %...U logs "The URL path requested".
> In the case of
> http://example.com/one/two/three/four.html?five=six
> the %U will log
> /one/two/three/four.html
>
> According to the RFCs as I've read them, the URL path should
> be everything following the hostname/port (including the
> query string).

H'm.  I do not think so.  IIRC, the URI is the complete bit,
but the *path* stops at either the path-info or the query-string,
non-inclusive.  Hang on a sec..  Yes, see sections 3 and 3.3 of
RFC 2396, which clearly separates the path from the query.

If you are going to modify the docco (good idea), it should be
to clarify this.