Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org> on 2003/12/23 07:51:38 UTC

[BUG] svn diff header

svn diff if diffing between a rev that the file doesn't exist in and a
working copy with modifications returns a header showing the "old" file
as revision 0 and the "new" file as whatever your BASE is.

duplication recipe:

svn co http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/subversion/bindings/swig/perl/t/
modify the 1repos.t file
svn diff -r 6750 1repos.t

You'll get this as the output:
--- 1repos.t    (revision 0)
+++ 1repos.t    (revision 8072)
[snip]

Increasing the rev by one gives:
--- 1repos.t    (revision 6751)
+++ 1repos.t    (working copy)

The diff is correct in both cases.  Just the header is wrong.

--
Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us somebody may be looking."
- H.L. Mencken

Re: [BUG] svn diff header

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Tue, 2003-12-23 at 01:51, Ben Reser wrote:
> svn diff if diffing between a rev that the file doesn't exist in and a
> working copy with modifications returns a header showing the "old" file
> as revision 0 and the "new" file as whatever your BASE is.

Hm, this looks like a variant of a bug that cmpilato *just* fixed in the
last week.  In the original bug, the command

  $ svn diff -r1:6000 subversion/libsvn_wc/update_editor.c

would show a diff between r0 and r6000, because update_editor.c doesn't
exist in r1.  Mike fixed the problem, so now we get a more appropriate
response:

svn:'http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/subversion/libsvn_wc/update_editor.c' was not found in the repository at revision 1

The bug you're reporting here looks like more of the same thing,
happening in the "-rX" case, against an implied BASE.