Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Chris <je...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/24 03:57:27 UTC

Index Names

I'm wanting to drop a row/record/index in my Derby Embedded installation
(pre-installed in ColdFusion 8 Developer's Edition), but the index-names
aren't as simple as I had originally assumed (0, 1, 2,...).  I visited
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.3/ref/rrefsqlj59893.html to understand
them, but it doesn't tell me how to determine what my indexes are named.  I
haven't renamed them, so what's the default name, and how do I alter that
name to obtain the Nth index?

Thanks!
Chris

RE: Index Names

Posted by Jim Newsham <jn...@referentia.com>.

Google is your friend: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en
<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=database+index&btnG=Google+Search>
&q=database+index&btnG=Google+Search.  For example, try:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Index_(database).

Jim

  _____

Thanks Rick!  I found out elsewhere that I wanted to DELETE rather than
DROP.  Could I get an explanation of what and index is?  I thought it was
like an array index in programming languages...

Thanks!
Chris

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 7:55 AM, Rick Hillegas <Ri...@sun.com>
wrote:

Chris wrote:
> I'm wanting to drop a row/record/index in my Derby Embedded
> installation (pre-installed in ColdFusion 8 Developer's Edition), but
> the index-names aren't as simple as I had originally assumed (0, 1,
> 2,...).  I visited
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.3/ref/rrefsqlj59893.html to
> understand them, but it doesn't tell me how to determine what my
> indexes are named.  I haven't renamed them, so what's the default
> name, and how do I alter that name to obtain the Nth index?
>
> Thanks!
> Chris

Hi Chris,

The following query will list out the names of all the indexes in the
database:

select t.tablename, c.conglomeratename
from sys.systables t, sys.sysconglomerates c
where c.isindex and t.tableid = c.tableid
order by tablename, conglomeratename

Hope this helps,
-Rick

--