Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/03 17:09:10 UTC

[VOTE] Release Karaf version 2.2.6

Hi,

We resolved 76 issues in this release (web page will be published post
RC promotion):
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/karaf/site/trunk/src/main/webapp/index/community/download/karaf-2.2.6-release.page

Staging repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachekaraf-007/

Release tags:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/karaf/tags/karaf-2.2.6/

Please vote to approve this release:

[ ] +1 Approve the release

This vote will be open for 72 hours.

Re: [VOTE] Release Karaf version 2.2.6

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
agree for a -1.

I gonna make some new tries on my Windows 7 VM.

Regards
JB

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Karaf version 2.2.6

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
If the release is already cut then it is ok to defer.

Increasing the default installation start level is also ok for me.

Christian

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
I have created the issue https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-1318

The fix is to just add the property to the config.properties we install.
Why should we delay that to the next release?

Btw. I consider this a bug as it clearly violates user expectations. Of
course the question is why this was not found before.

Christian

Am 04.04.2012 17:37, schrieb Jamie G.:
> As this is now expected behaviour I would not slip this in this late
> in the release cycle - please submit a JIRA for 2.2.7.
>
> Cheers,
> Jamie
>
> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Christian Schneider
> <ch...@die-schneider.net>  wrote:
>> I would consider it an issue as when you install a user bundle it gets the
>> start level 60.
>> So any user bundle is treated as a system bundle. This means that e.g. for
>> stop and start you are asked the "Are you sure" question.
>>
>> As we have to retag anyway I propose we either set the system bundle level
>> to something<  60 or we set the default level for bundles to>  60.
>>
>> Christian
>>
>> Am 04.04.2012 17:07, schrieb Jean-Baptiste Onofré:
>>
>>> AFAIR, it was already the case in previous version for all bundles with
>>> start-level<= 60.
>>>
>>> So I don't consider it as an issue.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> JB

>> --
>>
>> Christian Schneider
>> http://www.liquid-reality.de
>>
>> Open Source Architect

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: [VOTE] Release Karaf version 2.2.6

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
As it's the case since Karaf 2.2.x, it's not a bug for me, it's an
enhancement. We moved from StartLevel 30 to StartLevel 60.

I don't want to block the release for that as it's not a critical bug.

We can discuss to change this behavior for 2.2.7 or more probably for 3.0.0.

More over the user always have a workaround.

Regards
JB

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Hi Jamie,

I just found another issue that is already present in Karaf 2.2.5.

It seems that user bundles are treated as system bundles. I was able to
fix that by setting the following property in config.properties:
karaf.systemBundlesStartLevel=59

Not sure if the exact value is correct but it seems necessary to set the
property or all bundles are treated as system bundles.

Christian

Am 04.04.2012 16:27, schrieb Jamie G.:
> Ok, I'm going to give a binding -1 on this build and note that i have
> a fix for karaf 2.2.6 for the windows history arrow key issue! :)
>
> Will check in the fix and recut the release.
>
> Cheers,
> Jamie
>
> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 9:08 AM, Christian Schneider
> <ch...@die-schneider.net>  wrote:
>> -1 (non binding)
>>
>> The cursor keys are really crucial to have.
>>
>> Christian
>>
>> Am 03.04.2012 21:23, schrieb Jean-Baptiste Onofré:
>>
>>> -0
>>>
>>> We updated to JLine 2.6 on Karaf 2.2.6 in order to fix the line wrapping
>>> issue on Windows. Unfortunately, JLine 2.6 breaks the "arrows" keys on
>>> Windows (up/down keys don't move in the history, home/end keys don't go to
>>> begin/end of the line).
>>>
>>> We have three ways:
>>> 1/ we let as it is, but a warning in Release Notes could be helpful for
>>> the users
>>> 2/ we rollback to JLine 2.5. I consider more acceptable to have the line
>>> wrapping issue but arrows keys sound more important to me.
>>> 3/ fix in JLine. It's my preferred solution but it requires some time to
>>> work on Jline and cut off a JLine 2.7.
>>>
>>> Sorry, it's something that we discussed but I forgot to remind you this
>>> issue.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> JB

>> --