Posted to log4cxx-dev@logging.apache.org by Florian Seydoux <fs...@apache.org> on 2014/01/28 06:21:14 UTC

Re: Release? version + "roadmap"

On 23.01.2014 13:57, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
> [...] If you think it is time
> to make a new release, let's [just] discuss it.

Just to recall, the idea is to publish a 0.11.0, with almost the content
of a 0.10.1?

(fine for me, because of the move to incubation + time past since
0.10.0, but not otherwise).

I'm asking that in order to reflect the 'roadmap' on the Jira site
(well, Christian will surely have the rights for managing the versions),
which also participate to the visibility of the project.

I remember we had discussion regarding the repository (branches vs
trunk), without clear outcome on some policy: do we need to makes now
a (pre-)release branche, in order to freeze the codebase, only
"accepting" major bug fixes and documentation? or do we just continue
with the trunk till the next release?

---
flo

Re: Release? version + "roadmap"

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On 28 Jan 2014, at 6:21, Florian Seydoux wrote:

> On 23.01.2014 13:57, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
>> [...] If you think it is time
>> to make a new release, let's [just] discuss it.
>
> Just to recall, the idea is to publish a 0.11.0, with almost the content
> of a 0.10.1?
>
> (fine for me, because of the move to incubation + time past since
> 0.10.0, but not otherwise).
>
> I'm asking that in order to reflect the 'roadmap' on the Jira site
> (well, Christian will surely have the rights for managing the versions),
> which also participate to the visibility of the project.

I have the rights and happily give them to you too when I found out how

> I remember we had discussion regarding the repository (branches vs
> trunk), without clear outcome on some policy: do we need to makes now
> a (pre-)release branche, in order to freeze the codebase, only
> "accepting" major bug fixes and documentation? or do we just continue
> with the trunk till the next release?
>
> ---
> flo

---
http://www.grobmeier.de
The Zen Programmer: http://bit.ly/12lC6DL
@grobmeier
GPG: 0xA5CC90DB

Re: Release? version + "roadmap"

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Florian Seydoux,
am Dienstag, 28. Januar 2014 um 06:21 schrieben Sie:

> Just to recall, the idea is to publish a 0.11.0, with almost the content
> of a 0.10.1?

+1

...or whatever is "easy" to implement for a 0.11.0, whether or not it
has been scheduled for a 0.10.1.

> I remember we had discussion regarding the repository (branches vs
> trunk), without clear outcome on some policy: do we need to makes now
> a (pre-)release branche, in order to freeze the codebase, only
> "accepting" major bug fixes and documentation? or do we just continue
> with the trunk till the next release?

There seem to be quite some bugs wich already provide solutions or
patches which seem to only need to be applied, therefore I would first
schedule all those bugs to the pending 0.10.1 and apply them
afterwards directly on trunk. After all bugs are closed we could
branch the trunk as 0.11.0 and test "somehow". This way trunk benefits
from all the fixes provided in the last years and we don't need to
merge back ti much from a 0.11.0 branch.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--
Thorsten Schöning       E-Mail:Thorsten.Schoening@AM-SoFT.de