Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Ian Zimmerman <it...@buug.org> on 2015/07/31 21:38:00 UTC

no reporting methods available

I run spamassassin -r from cron nightly.  Last night I got this output:

Jul 30 23:00:11.830 [31065] warn: reporter: no reporting methods
available, so couldn't report
Jul 30 23:00:11.830 [31065] warn: spamassassin: warning, unable to
Jul 30 23:00:11.830 [31065] warn: spamassassin: for more information,
re-run with -D option to
see debug output

I tried to follow the instructions and run

spamassassin -D -r `ls spam`

but that hangs without producing any output.

The only external reporting method I'm aware of that should be active is
Razor.  Running razor-report `ls spam` works normally as expected.

Aside from getting an explanation of what happened this time, I'd also
like to clarify more generally what spamassassin -r does.  From a recent
thread here I learned that it also does the equivalent of sa-learn
--spam.  Right?  So presumably it doesn't consider this a "reporting
method" or how could it be not available?

Also I recently installed the bogofilter plugin by Christian Laußat, and
my understanding is that (when bogofilter_learn is set to 1, as it is),
it advertises itself as another external reporting agent.  So shouldn't
this also happen during a spamassassin -r run, and how could it be not
available?

Re: no reporting methods available

Posted by Ian Zimmerman <it...@buug.org>.
On 2015-07-31 18:28 -0500, David B Funk wrote:

> >Reporting is separate from learning.
>
> It is the case that "spamassassin -r" is supposed to report and learn.
> However it isn't quite the same as "sa-learn --spam" in that unlike
> "sa-learn --spam" it won't override the spam learn prohibition of BAYES_00.

Thanks, that is useful to know.  However, it isn't really relevant to
this situation.  My point is: if learning _is_ part of the job of
spamassassin -r, then does it have to fail for the "no method available"
message to be emitted?

Re: no reporting methods available

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.
On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 18:28:29 -0500 (CDT)
David B Funk wrote:

> It is the case that "spamassassin -r" is supposed to report and learn.
> However it isn't quite the same as "sa-learn --spam" in that unlike
> "sa-learn --spam" it won't override the spam learn prohibition of
> BAYES_00.

AFAIK there is no "spam learn prohibition of BAYES_00". The Bayes score
is taken into account in the autotrain decision, but that's specific to
autotraining.

Re: no reporting methods available

Posted by David B Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu>.
On Fri, 31 Jul 2015, RW wrote:

[snip..]
>>  I'd also
>> like to clarify more generally what spamassassin -r does.  From a
>> recent thread here I learned that it also does the equivalent of
>> sa-learn --spam.  Right?  So presumably it doesn't consider this a
>> "reporting method" or how could it be not available?
>
> Reporting is separate from learning.

It is the case that "spamassassin -r" is supposed to report and learn.
However it isn't quite the same as "sa-learn --spam" in that unlike
"sa-learn --spam" it won't override the spam learn prohibition of BAYES_00.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Re: no reporting methods available

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.
On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 12:38:00 -0700
Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> I run spamassassin -r from cron nightly.  Last night I got this
> output:
>
> Jul 30 23:00:11.830 [31065] warn: reporter: no reporting methods
> available, so couldn't report
> Jul 30 23:00:11.830 [31065] warn: spamassassin: warning, unable to
> Jul 30 23:00:11.830 [31065] warn: spamassassin: for more information,
> re-run with -D option to
> see debug output
>
> I tried to follow the instructions and run
>
> spamassassin -D -r `ls spam`

If the problem persists, I'd run spamassassin -r one spam at a time
until you get the error and then run spamassassin -D -r on that
particular spam.

> The only external reporting method I'm aware of that should be active
> is Razor.  Running razor-report `ls spam` works normally as expected.

I think the error message is a bit misleading. According to the
documentation a plugin can set two flags, one to say that reporting
is available and another to say it completed successfully. In all the
plugins that support reporting, both flags are set in the same place.

So "no reporting methods available" really means that no plugin
succeeded in reporting one of the spams. In your case that just means
that a razor report failed.