Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Doug <um...@yahoo.com> on 2002/08/08 16:34:38 UTC

log4j 1.2 not fully compatible with 1.1

i just wanted to vent my frustration at my realization
that backwards compatibility was not maintained for
users who have implemented custom
Category/CategoryFactory/Priority classes, which we
did.

i realize this is a non-recommended practice, but it
made good sense in our case.  the framework supported
it, and still does, but in an incompatible fashion.
this is forcing us to either change all of our code or
stay at the 1.1 level (which has known bugs in it like
for RollingFileAppender).  sigh.

- doug

Re: log4j 1.2 not fully compatible with 1.1

Posted by Raúl Carazo <rc...@bilbomatica.es>.
    It's true (as far as I can see), but there's a good way to avoid it...

    If you create a class to extend Category and another for
CategoryFactory, you can use them ofr logging, instead of Category. But if
you need to change something (like the extension to Logger and
LoggerFactory), you just need to change this classes, not every class...