Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by yu...@live.co.za on 2010/06/15 22:11:15 UTC

org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create JDBC driver of class '' for connect URL 'null'

I have tried to check why this exception is thrown in production but not development....

The difference between production snd development server is:

development) put mysql jar into CATALINA/lib (tomcat 6.0.26)

production) choice of common/lib or share/lib

exception is thrown by hibernate which is wrapping the exception from realm

Re: org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create JDBC driver of class '' for connect URL 'null'

Posted by yu...@live.co.za.
I moved hosting provider and have found eapps to be excellent. Despite the
same version of tomcat and same layout, I am unable to resolve this
exception.  my databases are correct, the jdbc jar is in tomcat/lib. I don't
know what more to do :(

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
Hi.

Could you please post a version of server.xml without the comments.
They are very helpful as documentation but make the file extremely
difficult to read.  Also, I would check to see if the problem is because
the driver jar could not be found or because of some other problem.
It's easy enough to try a connection directly (no jdbc pool) just to see
if the jar is found.  Lastly (and maybe I missed it in the thread),
could you post a complete stack trace including any root causes and
related exceptions from when the webapp was started?

--David

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
It can also (and frequently does) happen when there is some mismatch
between where the resource is defined and where it's used.  Maybe the
context.xml file you think tomcat is using for your webapp isn't being
used at all.

--David

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 16/06/2010 12:08, yuccanel@live.co.za wrote:
> I manually added the "lib" dir to root of production server and am still
> stuck with same exception....

Adding "lib" to an installation that isn't expecting one isn't going to
make a jot of difference.

> I now have also remove mysql connector as provider instructed me t
> because there is already a connector on server-side...

"server-side"?  It's all server side - I don't know what you mean by this.

Where *exactly* is the mysql driver jar?

> My last hope, it would appear is that I missed something in config files
> so I am posting all 3 here in hope of moving on.

If your provider has given you a mangled installation, you need to go
back to them to figure out what they've done to it.

If the server was 5.x.x and they upgraded it to 6.0.x then ask them to
state exactly what they did to upgrade it.

N.B.  Just swapping the jars out is the wrong approach.

N.B.  There are more than 3 config files; tomcat/conf contains others.
The catalina.properties file for example, which defines which
directories act as classloader repositories.

> [...]
>            <url-pattern>/pages/admin/*</url-pattern>
>            <http-method>GET</http-method>
>            <http-method>POST</http-method>
>        </web-resource-collection>
>        <auth-constraint>
>            <role-name>Admin</role-name>
>        </auth-constraint>
>

>    </security-constraint>
>    <login-config>
>        <auth-method>FORM</auth-method>
>        <form-login-config>
>            <form-login-page>/login.jsf</form-login-page>
>            <form-error-page>/loginerror.jsf</form-error-page>
>        </form-login-config>
>    </login-config>
>
>     <context-param>
>         <param-name>email</param-name>
>         <param-value>thejartender@thejarbar.org</param-value>
>     </context-param>
> </web-app>
>
> I am probably missing a tag I guess from one of the configurations and

my provider has asked me to use common/lib for connector or those wishing to
argue that there is no common/lib. This is where I currently have it  in
production and am getting the runtime exception.
as mentioned, in test server I am uaing tomcat/lib and all works, waiting to
confirm that tomcat versions for test/production do not match but from what
I am being told here, my production seems to be configured incorrectly as I
have no tomcat/lib and DO have a tomcat/common/lib

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: yuccanel@live.co.za [mailto:yuccanel@live.co.za]
> Subject: Re: org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot
> create JDBC driver of class '' for connect URL 'null'
>
> production is tomcat 6.0.20

Then there's no common/lib or shared/lib in production either.  Get your story straight.

I would strongly recommend that you do your development and testing on exactly the same Tomcat version that runs in production.  Anything else puts you at risk for unexpected surprises.  (I'd also upgrade production ASAP.)

 - Chuck

Re: org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create JDBC driver of class '' for connect URL 'null'

Posted by yu...@live.co.za.
Ok I am getting to the bottom of this but my hosting provider wish to argue.
They moved me over a month ago from tomcat 5 to 6 and I remember the
installation was not clean because I had some stuff left over from the
tomcat 5 in my new tomcat 6.

I downloaded tomcat 5 and viewed the root directory layout which looks
exactly like tomcat 5 and my current  tomcat layout from provider. Clearly I
am meant to have a lib dir in root if this is tomcat 6 and NOT a common/lib

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com>.