Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Nuno Simões Ferreira <nu...@mailtec.pt> on 2012/10/10 13:23:55 UTC

Greeting 220 *******(*)

Hi,

I´ve installed a James Email Server (2.3.1) and the greeting is 220 ************... when doing telnet to the IP.

Other machine that have the James Email Server with the same config  does the greeting OK, with the name of the machine.

Any ideias on this, and what is wrong in the new installation of James?

Cheers,

Nuno Ferreira

Re: Greeting 220 *******(*)

Posted by "martijn.list" <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 10/10/2012 01:23 PM, Nuno Simões Ferreira wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I´ve installed a James Email Server (2.3.1) and the greeting is 220 ************... when doing telnet to the IP.
>
> Other machine that have the James Email Server with the same config  does the greeting OK, with the name of the machine.
>

> Any ideias on this, and what is wrong in the new installation of James?

That's a CISCO firewall that plays a "man in the middle". It's called
"SMTP fixup" and I suggest you disable it because it can give you
trouble with some email servers. See for example
http://blogs.oucs.ox.ac.uk/networks/2009/11/26/cisco-firewall-smtp-fixup-considered-harmful/

Kind regards,

Martijn Brinkers

--