Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com> on 2012/03/19 13:48:30 UTC

[RELEASE,CODE]: Bug 119090 - Default Encryption Fails for Down-Level Implementations

Hi,

I think issue 119090 is no show stopper from my point of view. The new
default provides a better security than before when I understand it
correct. And if people detect potential problems they can save the
document again with other settings.

I agree that this is important for interoperability but no show stopper.

Any other opinion?

Juergen

Re: [RELEASE,CODE]: Bug 119090 - Default Encryption Fails for Down-Level Implementations

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hmmm...
>
> We did say we would not depend on Category B software
> for default behaviour so I am with Dennis on this one.

OK.  Fine.  Let's just preserve the ability for user to set AES option via
the configuration setting. (We can add a UI for this in 4.0).  Users who
are smart enough to know they want AES will be smart enough to set that
option.

I also recall there are security issues with the two
> library versions of nss and xmlsec involved in this
> support.

All software has bugs.  Software that is tested has reported bugs.   Do we
not have bug reports concerning our default encryption because the code is
error free?  Or....?

-Rob

RE: [OT] Re: [RELEASE,CODE]: Bug 119090 - Default Encryption Fails for Down-Level Implementations

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
I didn't mean Apache OpenOffice.  When I mean that I use AOO or something similar.

I suppose it would be good to have said

"I have seen user complaints about the encryption problem on OpenOffice.org and/or LibreOffice lists."

 - Dennis

Posted by eric b <er...@free.fr>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

Posted by eric b <er...@free.fr>.
Hi Dennis,

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
I have seen user complaints about the encryption problem on OOo/LO lists.  I haven't been keeping track of them, though.

Evidently, the LibreOffice team considers this problem to have been solved by back-porting the consumption of AES256 to LibreOffice 3.4 with the LO 3.4.5 (January) and 3.4.6 (just-now) releases.  I haven't checked to see if that changes the "Save with Password" behavior in those LO 3.4 versions or it simply provides consumption of the AES256 default output from up-level LO 3.5.x versions.

 - Dennis

Re: [RELEASE,CODE]: Bug 119090 - Default Encryption Fails for Down-Level Implementations

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Hmmm...

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by TJ Frazier <tj...@cfl.rr.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Correcting my own typos and over-abbreviation of the previous post ...

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Rob,

 1. It is absurd to make headway to strengthen security without addressing the weakest links first. When has that ever been a design principle?

 2. The proposal is not to abandon AES but to not make it the default.  Folks for whom AES is imperative can elect it.  Packagers in enterprises can even configure it.  If it is as easy as claimed, why do this instead of a silent, forced change that causes the most pain to the least-expert?

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 4:23 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<de...@acm.org> wrote:

<snip>
<snip>
<snip>
<snip>
<snip>

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
+1 and thank you, TJ, for fact-checking what actually happens.

Folks, here is the issue.

The current builds of OOo-dev 3.4 (from Oracle) and all Apache OpenOffice 3.4 developer previews install with "Save with Password" pre-wired to encrypt using AES256-cbc and SHA256, and SHA256-1k digests, in conflict with the Blowfish CFB and SHA1, SHA1/1K digests that are all that down-level versions of OpenOffice-lineage and ODF 1.1 consumers can decrypt*d4e2h2*
, including Lotus Symphony, Libre Office prior to 3.5.x, and OpenOffice.or 3.3.0 (and earlier).

There is no dialog that notifies users that the encryption cannot be decrypted with earlier versions.  Changing the behavior requires knowing how to manipulate configuration settings.  There is no UI or Tools | Options dialog for this.

Fortunately, whichever default is used for Save with Password, both forms of encryption are accepted when opening a document.

THE PROPOSAL: Change the default so that the ODF 1.0/1.1/1.2-compatible and conformant encryption is used (Blowfish CFB and SHA1 for digests).  Users who want to produce documents using AE256, despite the loss of interoperability with all consumers but those who can accept AE256 -- LO 3.5.x, OO.o-dev 3.4, and AOO 3.4+ -- can still change their configuration files to alter the default behavior on ODF 1.2 Save with Password.

THE PATCH: There is a simple two-line patch to reverse the default behavior when there is no over-ride in the user configuration.  This is provided with r119090: <https://issues.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=119090>.  This patch needs to be approved and accepted.  (As a committer, I could have actually applied it.  I didn't want that done without review first, so this is an RTC submission.)

THE BENEFIT: Non-expert users will not be surprised by the misleading failure of their password to work when using a machine with an older version of OO-line software.  (The error message suggests that the file is damaged, not that the encryption is not understood.)  In addition, files that are encrypted using AES will also be decryptable by these new releases without the user having to figure anything out.

THE DEBATE: There is extensive technical discussion on the Bugzilla comments.  Here is a summary of what all of that technicality is about:

 1. Some presume that switching to AES256 increases the security of the document.

 2. The counter-argument is that it does no good to improve the security in parts of the encryption that do not improve the security of the weakest-link in the encryption technique.  It will simply give a false sense of security where there is no improvement.  The weak link in ODF 1.0/1.1/1.2 encryption is the way that passwords are used.  Not in the encryption technique that is used for the document.

All of the extensive technical material is about explaining how it is that (2) is the case and that doing (1) simply inconveniences users and raises technical and reputation issues.

 - Dennis

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On 3/26/12 11:21 AM, xia zhao wrote:
> 2012/3/26 Jürgen Schmidt<jo...@googlemail.com>
>
>> On 3/26/12 3:15 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>>
>>> TJ,
>>>
>>> I was doing some nosing around and, based on some information on the
>>> Community Forums (thank you Hagar), it looks like the settings are
>>> controlled in a file called registrymodifications.xcu, at least on Windows.
>>>   The location will vary with different versions of windows.
>>>
>>> On windows, you can find one under the installed-user profile, such as
>>> Documents&   Settings\orcmid\Application Data [a hidden file],
>>> OpenOffice/3/user/**registrymodification.xcu for any install since the
>>> AES256 has been instituted as default.  the *.xcu is actually an XML file
>>> and you can find the settings by searching for "blowfish" and for "SHA1".
>>>

>>> How this works for Mac, Solaris, OS/2, and the various Linus and BSD
>>> builds, I have no idea.
>>>

>> I think I have mentioned before that it is easy to provide an extension to
>> switch the relevant configuration settings.
>>
>> As the release manger I will accept the issue as critical enough to change
>> the default back for 3.4. For AOO 4.0 we will switch the default again and
>> will provide a GUI to allow the user the change it more easily.
>>
>> I give +1 for Juergen here, this issue is critical but I don't think it is
> critical enough to block AOO 3.4 ship from QA view, for one software, one
> new release may has some difference with previous release, even for the
> same feature. I don't think this issue locates at changing the default
> setting back for 3.4 or not, the point is which encryption algorithm is
> more polular and buy in by users.

I am not sure, most users don't care about the technical details and
they will be simply confused if it won't work any more with older office
versions.

We should make it better in AOO 4.0 and allow more flexibility

> But I agree offering user more flexibility by modifying the configuration
> file etc is one good idea.
>
> Lily
>
> For 3.4 we provide a mini extension that switch the default back to AES for
>> users who prefer this encryption algorithm.

I put a small oxt together, you can find it under
http://people.apache.org/~jsc/extensions/ODF12-Default-encryption-AES256-cbc.oxt

Feel free to test it, it should work in AOO3.4 only (in contains a
minimal and maximal version dependency)

Juergen

Posted by xia zhao <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On 3/26/12 10:10 AM, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> On 3/26/12 3:15 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>> TJ,
>>
>> I was doing some nosing around and, based on some information on the
>> Community Forums (thank you Hagar), it looks like the settings are
>> controlled in a file called registrymodifications.xcu, at least on
>> Windows. The location will vary with different versions of windows.
>>
>> On windows, you can find one under the installed-user profile, such as
>> Documents& Settings\orcmid\Application Data [a hidden file],
>> OpenOffice/3/user/registrymodification.xcu for any install since the
>> AES256 has been instituted as default. the *.xcu is actually an XML
>> file and you can find the settings by searching for "blowfish" and for
>> "SHA1".
>>
>> How this works for Mac, Solaris, OS/2, and the various Linus and BSD
>> builds, I have no idea.
>
> I think I have mentioned before that it is easy to provide an extension
> to switch the relevant configuration settings.
>
> As the release manger I will accept the issue as critical enough to
> change the default back for 3.4. For AOO 4.0 we will switch the default
> again and will provide a GUI to allow the user the change it more easily.
>
> For 3.4 we provide a mini extension that switch the default back to AES
> for users who prefer this encryption algorithm.

please don't apply the patch in the issue, it won't work.

Juergen

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
I agree that preserving an existing registrymodifications.xcu is desirable.

There's no problem so long as the AOO 3.4 install is set to have the UseSHA1 and UseBlowfish options by default when there is no setting in registrymodifications.xcu.

If you are confident patching Common.xcs is sufficient for all of the paths where the default is not over-ridden, let's do it.  It is probably easy to test whether there is an uncovered path to the default setting in the Save Options class constructor.

 - Dennis

Posted by Juergen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
I did more experiments with AOO-dev 3.4 and LO 3.5.0rc3 which I happened to have installed where it was easy to test them together.

TEST RESULTS

 1. It is possible to change the default behavior of AOO-dev 3.4 and LO 3.5.0rc3 (both of which produce AES 256 CBC and SHA256-1k encryptions by default) by setting options in registrymodifications.xcu.

 2. If registrymodifications.xcu is deleted, a new one is created *but* it has *no* settings for the SHA1 and Blowfish in ODF12 and these installations *revert* to AES256 CBC and SHA256-1k even if their last use was with options set for Blowfish CFB and SHA1/1K.

HYPOTHESIS: If an install is done on top of a previous installation not supporting AES to update to a later version, no settings for this will be added to the "legacy" registrymodifications.xcu and the default will go into effect: encryptions will start being done in AES256, surprise, surprise.
I haven't tested this integration case to confirm this hypothesis yet.

Posted by TJ Frazier <tj...@cfl.rr.com>.

Posted by Andre Fischer <af...@a-w-f.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by TJ Frazier <tj...@cfl.rr.com>.
On 3/19/2012 08:48, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think issue 119090 is no show stopper from my point of view. The new
> default provides a better security than before when I understand it
> correct. And if people detect potential problems they can save the
> document again with other settings.
>
> I agree that this is important for interoperability but no show stopper.
>
> Any other opinion?
>
> Juergen

Hi, Jürgen,

Like Dennis, I'm nervous about this. Perhaps we can handle it with a
mention in the Release Notes; something like,

PLEASE NOTE: the default options for [technical details here] should
provide your best /individual/ security. However, if you intend to share
the document in secure fashion, the default mode cannot be read by
* previous versions of OpenOffice.org
* current versions of LibreOffice, at least through [version]
* Ms Office [version info]
For compatibility, use the options [details here].

/tj/, his 2¢